We've Arrived In Timaru!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
May 27th 2008
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

First view of South Island MountainsFirst view of South Island MountainsFirst view of South Island Mountains

Beautiful! Can't wait for ski season!
May 12, 2008
We're here, we're here! It looked like Iowa when we landed - flat with lots of farm land. We were so surprised when we drove into Timaru and saw how hilly it is. Our house is cute - 3 bedrooms, 1 toilet, 1 bathroom and a nice kitchen, dining, living room. Each room has an electric heater and the living area has a wood burning fireplace. I think we are going to be building lots of fires! We are on a bit of a hill with the boys school right behind us. In fact, they walk right through the gate to school. From their school, and from the hospital, you can see the mountains and the ocean.
Although the kitchen has two dishwashers (top and bottom), the laundry room only has a washer and a sink. There is a very large clothes line out in the yard. Boy, do I feel like a 1950s housewife! Most days I have laundry hanging on the drying rack in our living room! Another thing I have noticed is that we have either hot water or cold water and no inbetween. The shower has a bit of warm water on a good
Timaru AirportTimaru AirportTimaru Airport

We've landed!
day!
Grocery shopping has been a fun, new experience. Everything is different with lots of Thai, Indian and Chinese influences. Chicken is ridiculously priced, but seafood and beef are quite reasonable. The beef is free range so Gregg is once again eating hamburgers. I have been cooking yummy new meals every night. In our garden (yard) we have two apple trees. The kids have been collecting apples for me for making fried apples with pancakes or homemade applesauce. We have an apricot tree that will bloom in August as well. We also have a lemon tree on the front porch.
What we are going to miss is summer. I know we will have double summers next year, but it is cold and sunny and only going to get worse. New Zealanders are hearty people. Nearly everyone rides their bikes to work and school or walks - even when it is raining or there is frost on the ground. Gregg has started to ride a bike he found in the garage to work. Our bikes, and winter clothes, have arrived in Christchurch but have not yet been let through customs. We need our coats, hats and gloves!
I have joined two
Wood!Wood!Wood!

And this is only half of the pile!
tennis groups and gotten involved in several school volunteer opportunities. I am also helping with a big fundraiser that will happen in September at the boys school. I really have not had much trouble meeting people or finding things to keep me busy. What a relief that has been!
Timaru has a movie theatre with at least 5 shows going all the time. We have made Fridays "Movie Night" and have seen "Ironman", "Indiana Jones", "Secondhand Wedding", and will see "21" this Friday.
Gregg is getting use to the hospital. I am sure he will write in detail at a later date. The kids are adjusting to school and new friends and activities. Avery is taking tennis lessons and playing Rugby. Graham is in guitar club, and playing on soccer and basketball teams, and taking tennis lessons. Syd started Field Hockey this week and ended last week with the final Volleyball game for the season. I know she is anxious to start Cross Country as well. She has decided to rent an Alto Sax and join the school Jazz Band. She also wants to take piano lessons.
Everyone has has a bit of homesickness, but that was to be expected. A few more weeks and I am sure everyone will be feeling better.
Keep in touch and we hope to post more over the weekend. We are off on another exploring adventure.
By the way, driving on the left has not been so bad - no major mistakes yet!



Advertisement



11th June 2008

Back to front
Lisa, this is such a great tool for keeping us all up to date and just knowing what you are doing is so neat. I went from the back to the front so just thought I would say something here. The pictures are amazing and so beautiful! Keep it coming - love reading it! Eska

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb