Te Anau New Zealand


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
June 17th 2012
Published: June 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Te Anau is in the South Island of New Zealand, near the Fiordland National Park, along the shores of Lake Te Anau. Lake Te Anau is the second largest lake in New Zealand, the largest in the South Island, and the largest by volume in the country. The mountainous surroundings make for a picturesque locale. The tramping here is truly awesome and the wildlife, especially the varied species of birds, make for a memorable trip. Te Anau is also know as the start of the Milford Sound Highway, and 120 km to the north is Milford Sound, a fjord that is one of the top tourist destinations in the country.

Te Anau is the site of two of New Zealand's great walks, which both start near Lake Te Anau. The Milford Track, known as "The Finest Walk in the World" starts here ending at Milford Sound and the Kepler Track takes you through the forests with glacial valleys alongside gorgeous mountain peaks to Lake Manapouri. Te Anau is really the starting point for some of the best scenery the South Island has to offer.

Te Anau has several places to check out the local wildlife as well which provide
Te Anau NZ BirdTe Anau NZ BirdTe Anau NZ Bird

A bird in Te Anau, New Zealand
a nice aspect to a visit here. The Glowworm Caves, where thousands of tiny worms light up a 15,000 year old cave for an eerie adventure underground. There is also a wildlife park near Lake Te Anau which houses a ton of species of the local birds including Kea, Tui, and Kaka.

There is plenty of hotels to stay in but the best way to see New Zealand is getting a campervan rental in Auckland, taking the ferry across to the South Island, and exploring around a bit before ending up in Te Anau with the Fiordland National Park, Milford Sound, and its wonders finishing off the trip. There is a lot of areas around Te Anau to explore, it is the gateway to the South Island's best spots. Doubtful Sound is another place that has simply breathtaking views. Queenstown is a short ways away, with its adventure based tourism if you like and the nature there is not to be missed as well. There are several holiday parks along the way to park the campervan and have a rest before moving on to your next destination.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb