Fire in Reefton


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Reefton
September 11th 2007
Published: September 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Up in FlamesUp in FlamesUp in Flames

The 110-year-old former Sisters of Mercy convent in Reefton burns to the ground (PHOTO: Ronnie Buckman).
Monday morning at around 3:45 a.m. we were awoken by that crazy air raid siren. I couldn't get back to sleep and happened to be in the kitchen when I saw the cause of the alarm. The old Convent building was ablaze. The convent is across the town from us but you could see the fire and smoke shooting up a hundred feet into the air. The two-storey house was built using native rimu lumber in 1897 in the most historic area of Reefton surrounded by buildings dating back to when Reefton was first established in the 1870s.

The convent served the Sister's of Mercy Nuns. However, the last of the sisters moved out in the 1981. It then passed through several hands and was in poor shape recently. Much of the interior had been looted recently, including the staircase, stained glass windows, fire surrounds, skirting boards and timber paneling. A group in the community were lobbying for the building to be declared historic and were in the process of raising money to restore the convent to its former glory. Sadly their hopes went up in flames with the building.

Ash, which likely contained asbestos from the walls of the old building blew across the town. Adrianne and Josh's school, which is located right next to the fire was shut down for the day on Monday due to the potential for asbestos dust in the air. The kids were delighted to have a "fire" day.

The current owners of the property were not keen to see it tagged as an historic building. Arson is suspected in the burning and the police are investigating the fire. Unfortunately, the exact cause of the fire will likely never be known as the building was completely destroyed and the site had be to be overhauled with a digger to deal with the asbestos.

The local police published the following request in the Clarion (the local newspaper):






Advertisement



15th September 2007

Correction
We would have been exicted if we weren't cleaning all day!!!!!!
17th September 2007

correction
Truth comes out.
18th September 2007

Missing house bits
Can you explain how you know, with such detail, which items had been looted from the house? Somewhat ironic that you are currently having your own home fully reno'd...

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb