Queenstown skiing without a lot of snow


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 13th 2013
Published: November 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This year we decide to spend a week in Queenstown skiing at the ski fields of Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Cardrona for the first time. The problem was it had been a very mild winter and school holidays were a bit early in the season to experience fantastic snow conditions. We had heard that people were skiing over tussock grass at Coronet peak and that it was very icy - yeah nah... We'll give that a miss. The Remarkables was also considered to be less than ideal and given the price of lift passes we had decisions to make...

We ended up only skiing at Cardrona (which had plenty of snow) over three days and it was great. A little icy for my liking, but Steve and the girls had a blast. Jordan got the handle of her snowboard on the long wide gentle slopes and they all extended themselves on the intermediate trails.

Queenstown was lovely in the winter tho' - despite the lack of snow on the mountains. On the days we weren't skiing we went for drives to Arrowtown, Wanaka and Glenorchy. Ashleigh's school friend, Debbie made the trip up from her new home in Invercargill at see us and the girls spent a morning at the iceskating rink. We also headed up the gondola for the most amazing views of Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu.

It would be lovely to make this an annual jaunt, but this trip cost as much as an overseas trip in the sun and I know what I would prefer!

In the end it turned out to be the most expensive holiday ever - welcome to the family little Audi A3 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 16; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb