Silver Linings


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
May 25th 2014
Published: May 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Peppers Beacon HotelPeppers Beacon HotelPeppers Beacon Hotel

Located right across the street from Lake Waikatipu and just a few minutes walk from the main wharf area of Queenstown
(Note to self: You are too old and cranky to book yourself into any more 24-plus hours travel ordeals ever again!)

Somehow we survived the first leg of our journey and arrived in Auckland, where our connecting flight, once again, was delayed--this time due to weather (wind) issues in Queenstown. While canceling the flight was considered, we ended up being the last one to land in Queenstown for the day. Some good things eventually came out of that situation (see below), and we arrived safely in a very wet and windy Queenstown, minus a few fingernails, but otherwise fine.

Sharon: Good Thing--The fortuitous last minute gate change and delayed flight (Auckland to Queenstown) that resulted in us sitting next to Frasier, a Queenstown resident, in the gate area, who gave us advice about things to do and where to eat. This led us to the most amazing (and cheap!) steak dinner at the Atlas Pub, a locals hangout, where we ended up sitting next to 2 Australian women from Sydney (one of whom is a sports journalist), who gave us tons of tips on Sydney and Olympic Park!

Bad Thing: Rain today and snow tomorrow in Queenstown, forcing
Home away from home for a few days...Home away from home for a few days...Home away from home for a few days...

So glad we decided to upgrade to this spacious one bedroom suite...the fireplace alone is worth the extra $$
us to reschedule our first excursion, now on for Wednesday, when we hope the predicted rain will be easier to deal with than below zero (centigrade) temps and snow predicted for overnight and tomorrow.

Dave: Good Thing--Meeting the Australian women and finally getting a clear explanation of the difference between Australian Rules Football and Rugby, from Rebecca Wilson, who just happens to be a sports broadcaster on the Sky Network (like CNN), after tasting several New Zealand Pinots at a wine center in downtown Queenstown.

Bad Thing--Yet another hour a a half flight delay--is a pattern developing here?--and the long, slow descent into Queenstown, through white out fog and lots of turbulence.

PS Hoping you all can access the photo captions (not just the title) which contain more of our trip story. And scroll all the way down the page, past all the ads and other junk to see all the photos. Today there are 9 posted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Suite.2Suite.2
Suite.2

Fully equipped kitchen! (Not that anyone's planning to cook)
View from our balcony/deckView from our balcony/deck
View from our balcony/deck

Lovely view of Lake, but a bit obscured by fog and rain today...
Pre-dinner stop at New Zealand Wine Experience in downtown QueenstownPre-dinner stop at New Zealand Wine Experience in downtown Queenstown
Pre-dinner stop at New Zealand Wine Experience in downtown Queenstown

Tom guided us through a summary of the Central Otago wine area (near Queenstown), then we settled down to sample a half dozen of its Pinots.
A couple of our selections...A couple of our selections...
A couple of our selections...

The wine experience uses an automatic pouring system. You insert a card which records your tasting purchases.
Atlas PubAtlas Pub
Atlas Pub

Unassuming front for some truly great food!


Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb