Onward to paradise riders of Rohan!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
August 13th 2006
Published: August 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

a stair way of lighta stair way of lighta stair way of light

just some stairs i saw in queenstown, thought id get a photo
Now some of you with those quick eyes might be thinking "Queenstown? he said he was in milford sound next" yes you see the problem with that is i had to use a one use camera for milford and havent got it devloped yet so instead of making you wait and wait i thought ill skip it and go back when i can....yes i can do that because i said so alright!?!

so where was i?? Right me and Lucy arrived in Queenstown, and my gosh what a squashed little town it is everything is so cramped into a small space all the shops. Thanks to Jen we had a free jet boat ride sorted out for us so that night we just chilled and did nothing. The next day we had the jet boat ride....my god ive never seen a boat go so fast on such a small amount of water. it only needs 10cm of water to keep it going and im sure we got into shallower then that. When you look over the side all you can see is the bottom under the water (Of which there appears to be none)

after this me and lucy need to do something a little more calmer and relaxing. for the next day we decided to book a horse riding trip (i got nervous as ive never been on a horse before, and they stopped superman flying so i didnt stand a chance)* Id just like to note here if any of Christopher reeves family is reading this i mean no offence and im sorry for your loss*

so we went out of queenstown to a small place called Glenorchy. The drive took about 30-40 minutes then we got into our dashing hats and boots and got back in the van to drive to the horses, who were at a placed called paradise which is a national park and everything in it is protected, its a offence to litter anything at all. When we got to the horses they picked out ones that they thought would be best suited for us. I got a fellow named Oscar, and he really needed to be told what to do other wise he would go and do what he wanted....which was nice...

we then headed off....another nice little querk (If you can call it that) about oscar was that he always liked to be right behind the person leading. so every now and then he would bite the horse in front so he could over take......what a lovely horse. We road on until we came to our first stop...the place where Borromir *sean bean* dies in the Amon Hen in the first lord of the rings trilogy. we road on and through the woods of Lothlorien * for all you squares who dont know lord of the rings its The woods that the the elf queen galadriel lives.* we then road on a bit further, as we walked the guides told us about the places they filmed and how they did it and also about the horses. This is when i found out i was riding a horse that was in the Lord of the rings movies!!! it was used as one of the horses that the riders of rohan use.*Again all you squares who dont know, the people of rohan are the people who are in the battle of helms deep......yes the big fight at the end of the second film with the wall and stuff* yes i was riding a famousish horse, at this moment i felt like a king, a king of burgers because i doubt there is a much to deal with if your only a burger king. we rode on and found the place they used for the location of Isengard and the tower of orthnac *The place saurman that dude in the white who goes bad lives* you could kind of tell they used the back ground but it was hard to see...

we the rode back to the start and headed back to town. We spent the next night in town and then headed up to a small place called Wanaka . which you will find out about soon enough....

Advertisement



15th August 2006

lol
Hi Ian, I never realised what a good sense of humour you have ! Really enjoyed reading your journal ! wow and what a claim to fame you now have !! Take care, love lucys mum x
22nd August 2006

lord of the rings? awsome!
Hey ian, cant believe your still out there man, thats so cool! im arranging to go in januray by my self, gonna visit some family and whatnot, hope to see some great sites too! and yes ive been quite inspired by ur travels, so well done for that! does the water really spin the other way down the sink? hmm...

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb