New Zealand / Australia Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
February 26th 2012
Published: February 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

WakatipuWakatipuWakatipu

North to Whakaari
2/25/2012

Note,,, this entry comes with a grammer disclaimer.

Trampers 4 up bright and early making their way to I-Site. Robyn has the beautiful Routeburn Track (linking Mt. Apiring Nat. Park with Fiordland Nat. Park) blazed in her brain as a must do. We get the map and set out from QT to Glenorchy, 50km. northwest of QT. After passing thru Glenorchy, the paved road gave way to gravel. But that wasn’t the worst…grinding on further we confronted quick sand, rocky, flooded streams, pot holes, and gray dust. Our little, red Camray did just fine until the last ford. John checked the under carriage, and proclaimed a NO GO for the Camray, a 4 wheel drive vehicle was the only answer. So…..we made the call to back up. In retreat, we headed back toward Glenorchy, to regroup only to find that we had made missed the turn to the Routeburn.



Mr. Campbell proposed, another agenda (Whakaari Conservation Area). A tramp up a break-back mountain, incline 70 degree for 1500 feet through, tussock grass, hawthorne shrub, passing dangerous off limits mining shafts, and under sun-drenched skies. However, the rewards offset any pain thresholds.

As we reached
WakatipuWakatipuWakatipu

Rees walking track
higher ground, Lake Wakatipu revealed its world renown splendor, its sparkling azure water. Looking toward the sky, we saw skydivers being dumped from 15,000 ft. over the Lake. Imagine their view as they descended toward mother earth.



In the evening, Barbara’s birthday was celebrated (a day early from her birthplace). Pier 19 was lakeside (Lake Wakatipu) was selected. We had the perfect table overlooking the Lake. Trampers 4 selected Steward Island Salmon and freshly caught Grouper as their Main courses. As we left the restaurant we looked at the Southern Cross from which you can calculate due south.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Rees trackRees track
Rees track

river crossing
WakatipuWakatipu
Wakatipu

Hikers give up
WakatipuWakatipu
Wakatipu

View to Wakatipu
Mt. Judah trackMt. Judah track
Mt. Judah track

View up the trail
Mt. Judah trackMt. Judah track
Mt. Judah track

Two tired treckers


28th February 2012

Birthday...
Sounds as though you had a beautiful birthday celebration there in paradise! Is New Zealand ever beautiful! After experiencing all of that beauty, fun and adventure, I don't imagine that you're all that eager to come back home!!! Carpe diem!

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb