Middle Earth...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
June 17th 2006
Published: June 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

View from the planeView from the planeView from the plane

Can you see Frodo?
It was well worth paying the extra dollars for the short flight from Christchurch to queenstown (1hr). The descent was perhaps the most spectacular i've ever experienced. I've landed in Cape Town, Sydney, Mexico City, New York - to name but a few, but I think Queenstown takes the best landing title.

From the airport, and straight to the "Last Resort" hostel - but don't let the name fool you. It feels more like a home than a hostel, and Coco is a most welcoming host. According to the lonely planet, Queenstown has a population of 7500, however i thknk this swells considerably during the ski season. It seems to populated with more Irish and Brits than Kiwis!

My new Irish pals at the hostel explained that there were very few decent flats/houses in town, and the job scene was practically non-existent. Unpeturbed, and armed with my CVs I headed into town anyway hoping that lady luck was shining down on me. After a couple of hours of..."Sorry we've just hired all our winter staff", "Nah mate, your the 12th person to ask today, and we still don't have anything", "try in a couple of weeks" etc. etc. ....I was losing hope, but i tried one more place "Dux de Lux", where i bagged myself a trial shift. If all goes well, i'll be able to start looking for a more permanent place to live, a snowboard and ski-pass... watch this space...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



20th June 2006

finding golum?
looks absolutely amazing there but judging by the names they give ... Dux de Lux :) you might find yourself never getting outta the shire! glad u found a trial shift - just dont make them a simin special cocktail - or maybe you should`!!!
20th June 2006

Last Resort
That's the same place I stayed four years ago!! How weird!! Good luck with the trial.
17th July 2006

wolf...
Hey Si! Sounds like ur having a great time so far!! News from the UK is most importantly that I took a game off rob which he was desperately trying not to give me...he doesn't like it when I mention it :) Also, that am going to CERN for 12 months starting in October so if you're coming back through europe anytime before then, stop by and visit.... Hope you're doing ok!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb