Living it up in Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
October 26th 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

After driving back to Queenstown from Milford Sound we arrived to glorious sunshine and around 23 degrees so headed down to the ‘beach’ in the town centre, which is a shingle shore surrounding the lake, to make the most of the hot weather. After a couple of hours relaxing in the sun it was time to pick up our skydive photos (which were in an album) and dvd! We went to the NZONE shop to get them and watch the dvd to make sure it worked, and watching it and looking through the photos bought back the memories of doing the jump and reminded us how good it was. We were hungry by then so went to the famous Fergburger diner, a burger place that specialises in huge burgers of all kinds- normal beef, chicken, pork, lamb, tofu, the list goes on! Vic got a regular cheese burger (which was about half the size of her head) and Scott went for the ‘Big Al’ which was enormous and included beetroot, an egg, avocado, cheese, bacon and not one but two slabs of beef! Of course he finished it and they were the best burgers we have had (better than Johnny Rockets and thats saying something!), even though we then couldn’t move for an hour.

It was then time to sort out the shower situation for the night, so we went back to the hostel we used when we were first in QT and showered there to get ready for a few drinks in QT that night. We went to the bar in the Base hostel at 9.30 as it was the liveliest one and there were two guys in there who were arranging a bar crawl for that evening, so we joined up and got our first free drinks while we waited for the rest of the group who had also joined up, about 25 other people. While we were waiting we got chatting to a really nice couple from Aus and their friend and convinced them too to join up for the bar crawl, so the 5 of us then met with the rest of the group to start the night. By joining up with a bar crawl group it meant we would meet people and also get free drinks; in the first bar we went to we got free pizza too! The second bar had an indoor skate board ramp so we watched some locals there and then went to a third bar, which had a pole in it...After watching several people try and fail to climb and swing round the pole, Scott decided he was a pro pole dancer so gave it a go, promptly smashing his shin against it and sliding down it to the floor! He was ok though and we carried on to the next bar, before heading on to the last bar of the night.
This is where there was a competition to win a bungee jump, which Scott had been thinking of doing so wanted to win it to get it for free, but he was in the toilets when they started the completion so missed out! Vic has since offered to pay for him to do a bungee but he has said no, so she thinks he doesn’t want to do one after all...The night ended about 2am (after more pizza) and we, along with the 3 Aussies, who were really fun and have invited us to stay with them when we visit Aus, headed back to our campers after a brilliant last night in Queenstown...we will miss this place!

The next morning we woke up feeling pretty rough but it was really sunny and warm outside so we got up, made breakfast and headed down to the lake thinking we could spend a few hours chilling in the sun. Unfortunately by the time we found a parking space (most of the spaces were only free for an hour or you had to pay but then could only get two hours so we tried to find one on the street with no time limit) the sun had given way to cloud and it had dropped about 5 degrees so not warm enough to sit outside, so we went for a coffee and checked emails etc while deciding what to do. We really wanted to stay in Queenstown as we loved it and just sleep but its hard with a van as you are not aloud to sleep in them on the street, so we made a decision to leave QT after some lunch and head towards a town on the Otago Peninsular on the East coast called Oamaru. For lunch there was only one choice...Fergburger! The only one in thw world is in QT although there should be more, so Scott indulged in a pork belly burger while Vic had a chicken and avocado option...again they were huge but really tasty, although we have both said we need to cut down our food portions from now on as we will be on the beach in Aus soon!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



31st October 2010

Skydive and NZ
What can I say! Amazing and fantastic............. You really should work for the NZ tourist board. Enjoy the rest of your time in NZ and look forward to the Australian blogs. Love you both lots xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
31st October 2010

Cheats
Dearest darling the Victoria, Could you please let Scott know that whilst you have living it up in Queenstown, his Red Devils have once again cheated the best team in world football out of all three points. Perfectly good goals ruled out when they were 6 feet over the line, hand balls on the line, penalties given that were never penalties, rolling over and screaming like babies when they dont get decisions, playing hand ball during a football match and it's All Scotts fault. Love you both. Uncle David xxxxxx

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb