Queenstown - The Adventure Sports Capital of the World


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
November 25th 2009
Published: November 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

They say that Queenstown is in many ways a victim of its own popularity - they may be right. This place is absolutely beautiful, but packed. Every shop has stuff to absolutely drool over - canyon swing trips; snowboarding equipment; Quicksilver fashionwear; Gore-Tex windproof jackets - anything at all to do with sports or the outdoors, this place has it in abundance. The bars are simply awesome as well.

There's just nothing Queenstown doesn't have. Scenery? Go down to its lake, Lake Wakatipu, and you can see the incredible jagged skiing peaks, The Remarkables (which truly live up to their name). Just sitting by the lake you get to watch jetboats storm past, paragliders swoop in and people with deathwishes bungee jump off the AJ Hackett bridge. Take a cable car to the top of Bob's Peak, the mountain which looms over Queenstown, and you get a 360-degree view of all the mountains and lakes in the area.

Being so busy as well, the town has a crazy nightlife. Just minutes after being thrown into our 10-bed dorms, we already found ourselves signed up for a toga competition and a bar crawl!

Queenstown is nationally renowned for emptying peoples' wallets - it really is unbelievable how quickly you can run out of money here. I wasn't the only one making more than a few trips to the cashpoint during the bar crawl!

When we returned here from our road trip of the south (more on that later), me and James found out someone had been murdered near our youth hostel the night before we got back, and some of our friends from the Kiwi bus saw it and were called to court as witnesses. Chris, who me and James had dropped off from the road trip, had a front row seat in witnessing the murder and was in real shock over it.

Just goes to show things never get boring here in Queenstown!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Group photo at the World BarGroup photo at the World Bar
Group photo at the World Bar

James with his teapot of cocktail :-D Me with my wallet ready to get mine!
Chin-up competitionChin-up competition
Chin-up competition

Doing chin-ups on the rafters - how's that for an ice breaker?


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb