Leaving Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 8th 2006
Published: March 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Queenstown sunriseQueenstown sunriseQueenstown sunrise

Sunrise over the Remarkables - the mountain range right next to the Lake that Queenstown sits on. For you Lord of the Rings fans (like me!), this set of mountains are featured in a whole bunch of scenes in the films
We were a bit calculated about planning our trip, so to avoid any bad weather and only visit areas during the best seasons. All seemed well on paper, but it is just a reminder that nature does not like to cooperate, nor be dependable. at least not where i come from (new enland) and now i am learning, not in queenstown. while the little town is charming, packed with outdoor trips of fun, majestic lake and mountain views, it is also in the path of dasterdly southerly (read antarctica) winds! we have been told that it is an odd occurrence, but the southerlys have been whipping thru the area with no mercy for we travellors. It has brought with it rain, possible sleet, an snow to the mountaintop, below treeline. we are getting ready to sacrifice something (our mere fleece?) to the weather gods, in hopes of better weater (sunshine?) but it doesn't look good.

Eitherway, today we are boarding our rental wagon (the old lady?) and heading southwest to dunedin. i am begging for sightings of giant albatross and yellow eyed penguins. wish us luck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Queenstown SunsetQueenstown Sunset
Queenstown Sunset

And the sunset from a similar vantage point ...


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015.8kb