The west coast


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
January 28th 2006
Published: March 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lake Paringa, West CoastLake Paringa, West CoastLake Paringa, West Coast

We woke up to this view of the mist rising from Lake Paringa - was amazing but we were also plagued by sand flies and had to run..
We hit the westcoast next and headed north to some of the South Island's main tourist attractions, the Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers. Both were stunning and induced lots of talk using words not heard (and never expected to be heard) since GCSE Geography such as "terminal and lateral morraine"!! We were able to get up close and personal to the glacier faces and watch enormous chunks of ice fall into the rivers below which landed with a big echoing boom!

After the glaciers, and plenty more geography talk, we continued our drive further up the westcoast. The drive was beautiful and again we found ourselves stopping to take photos far too ofter. We stayed overnight at a couple of campsites next to inland lakes and visited the stunning Hokitika Gorge. Every morning we had to make a quick exit however as there were hundreds of biting sandflies in this part of the island looking for breakfast! We then continued north until we hit Karamea in the northwest, where, surprise surprise we did some more tramping, this time along the Heaphy Track.

Next, we doubled back on ourselves slightly and headed to the north coast and the Abel Tasman national park. This place was beautiful (beaches, jungle type greenary and more beaches) and we did a two day kayak/walking trip with an overnight stop on a houseboat. To our surprise there were very few tourists and we were able to claim our very own personal beaches in the park. We even found an island called "Adele Island" which of course we had to visit!

Abel Tasman was the last major stop in our tour of the South Island and on the 3rd Feb we took the ferry accross the Cook Straight to the North Island and on to the next part of our adventure ........ work!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Foz glacier reflacted in Lake MathesonFoz glacier reflacted in Lake Matheson
Foz glacier reflacted in Lake Matheson

Onoe of NZ's most photographed view - and you can see why!
Lake MathesonLake Matheson
Lake Matheson

The view, without the reflection
Face of Franz Joseph GalacierFace of Franz Joseph Galacier
Face of Franz Joseph Galacier

GCSE geography brought to life
Pancake rocksPancake rocks
Pancake rocks

odd looking limestone formed rocks!
Abel TasmanAbel Tasman
Abel Tasman

more of the same - but nice hey!
Tractors!Tractors!
Tractors!

we stopped off for a village fair - star attractions were these fine looking tractors?


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb