Queenstown...Still Here


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
November 25th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Queenstown
November 25, 2008

The southern cross was brilliant last night. We were both up in the middle of the night to enjoy the clear night sky on our way to the facilities….more quality time together.

Today was rainy and miserable so we holed up in Queenstown for several hours. We cleaned the campervan and took long hot showers. We didn’t want to drive on because the road ahead is supposed to be beautiful and we don’t want to see it (I should say not see it) in the rain.

The weather isn’t stopping a lot of adventurers. I spoke with two girls that went bungy jumping today. The people from New York that were working for National Geographic that we met in the Catlins at Owaka are here at the same caravan park. The husband went para-gliding today, can’t imagine doing that in the rain. He said that things didn’t go so well and one girl and her guide ended up in a field a mile away from where they were supposed to be.

At least Queenstown is an enjoyable town with good cafes and excellent people-watching opportunities.

Around mid-afternoon it stopped raining for
Bungy CenterBungy CenterBungy Center

My friend from NY and I decided this is the closest we'll ever get to bungy jumping.
awhile so we managed to salvage the day with some fun. We drove twenty minutes to the big-time bungy jumping place and watched people dive off an historic bridge for about an hour. Lots of fun to watch, but I can’t imagine doing it. I kept thinking two thoughts…I hope they emptied their pockets beforehand and that it looked like a good way to get your back aligned. Skip the chiropractor…go bungy jumping. By the way, bungy is spelled with a y in NZ. We ran into our National Geographic friends there, our paths keep crossing.

We drove on to the small town of Arrowtown that is almost too adorable. It is an old gold mining town and there are several historic buildings that are done up right. The most interesting thing there, though, is an old Chinese immigrant mining settlement that still stands. Those guys wanted in on the gold action, too, but racism forced them to live away from the Europeans. We looked at more of the merino wool/possum fur blend clothes and tried on some sweaters, but still not sure we want them enough to haul them around.

The day ended late with a trip to Fresh Choice in Queenstown to stock up on orange juice, fruit, and whatever else we eat. There was a sale on cooked prawns, so that was our late dinner. Should have bought more, they were fresh and good.

It’s back to being rainy and cold. Not many tent campers here tonight.









Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Bungy CenterBungy Center
Bungy Center

Interesting to see how they pick up the jumpers.
Bungy Center BathroomsBungy Center Bathrooms
Bungy Center Bathrooms

I think the wheelchair should be upside down, too.
Vineyards Near QueenstownVineyards Near Queenstown
Vineyards Near Queenstown

We've had a couple of great bottles of NZ wine, but haven't stopped for wine tasting yet.
Shotover RiverShotover River
Shotover River

This is a popular river for rafting and jet boating.
Hobbit House? No....Hobbit House? No....
Hobbit House? No....

This is a hut in the Chinese settlement in Arrowtown. Those guys must have been pretty small.
ArrowtownArrowtown
Arrowtown

This is a pretty little town with a lot of cute shops, and lots of gold mining history displays, etc.
Arrowtown ShopArrowtown Shop
Arrowtown Shop

Can't be in NZ without seeing lots of WOOL!
Strange DryerStrange Dryer
Strange Dryer

The floor heater in our van doubles as a hair dryer.


Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb