Extreme Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
February 15th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone, we are leaving the South Island in a couple of days to make our way slowly up to Auckland. Our bus journey to Queenstown was pretty spectacular. I don't think the views can be described through words or even justified through photos, but you find yourself humming Lord of the Rings tunes in your head and imagining the nine companions of the fellowship climbing many of the mountains. We arrived in Queenstown and stayed in a hostel called Bungi! It described itself as 'grungy' in the book, and after seeing the people staying there that was a good description. The people there were ok, however there were the odd few who did not seem very clean. The first thing we did in Queenstown was take the ride up on the gondola to see the views. Whilst we were up there we had a go on the luge, basically a tabogon ride. It was rather good fun, and Jon got a little bit carried away and flew over some big jumps. The next day we went on the jetboat ride which takes you down the Shotover canyon. Speeds of up to 90km at times in four inches of water, and dodging rock faces by centimetres, resulted in highly thrilling half an hour. The attire however we had to wear was not the most flattering. A huge long black cape to protect you from the water (something that Darth Vader would wear) and a bright red life jacket, incase you fell in when the boat did 360 degree turns.
Within the next couple of days the conversations arouse of whether eihter of us were brave enough to bungy jump or to skydive. The price for skydiving, which we were both more keen on doing, was pretty expensive so we are going to do it at Lake Taupo. However one rainy afternoon with nothing to do we went into the place where bookings are made to enquire about bungy jumps and the next thing you know Jon is booked to do one the next day. Harry however did pluck up enough courage, but after viewing Jon's jump feels it could be possible.
We got the bus to the place where Jon was jumping, it was the place where the first ever bungy jumped occured, on the Kawarua bridge. He didn't seem too scared on the bus journey, more excited. However when he had to hop to the very edge with his feet tied together, a bit of apprehension kicked in. Without having time to think too much the five second count down got to one and he jumped. A big woohoo and ten seconds later it was all over and he was waiting to be unattached by the men in the dingy below. Instead of paying $80 for pictures and DVD etc, Harry filmed the whole thing on her camera, except she missed the beginning bit.
That pretty much summed up our Queenstown experience, really cool place, great views first thing in the morning, nice coffees and thrill-seeking adventures.
Next stop was Franz Jospeh Glacier. Only here for one night as we wanted to head up further north, so we didn't get the chance to climb the glacier but it looked pretty impressive from the town. Currently we are in Nelson, which is the middle of New Zealand. Its supposed to be the sunniest place in New Zealand as well, but it rained last night!!!!
Hope everyone is good and less than seven weeks until we are back to annoy you all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



16th February 2008

extremely..mad!
Glad you're both enjoying yourselves on South Island...try and last the remaining 7 weeks without too many injries..I've heard all about those jet boat rides. Did you know that when the boat pilots have finished they get given a sedative and have their straight jackets replaced!!..know what I'm saying! and Jon, as for bungy jumping..what can I say! We've been enjoying some half decent weather over here which makes a nice change. Nikki and James are both here this weekend which is cool. Going out with them all tonight for a bite to eat. Take care dudes! Matt, Victoria, Sam and Finley x
22nd February 2008

So you did it bro - bungee!! Awesome although the countdown on the pics was a bit of an anticlimax...ready...steady...and on to the next visit! What happened Harry? Think you were wise not to the jump however, a little scary, the bridge at Queens gardens in Nelson looked more like my cup of tea! Had a good meal out with the fam last w/e - missed you though Jon! Looking forward to having you guys back to 'annoy' us all! BIG game Sunday - CUP FINAL - lets hope for some more pics of Jon jumping for joy when he here's this result!! COYS Take it easy guys. God Bless, Andy. xx
3rd March 2008

haha
That scream actually sounded like pure fear! Bet it was such a rush though. Good to see the tan is finally coming along! Oh yeah jon, your neighbours look-a-like Dillan has now been replaced by Riley. Uncanny. Anyway some of those pictures look amazing. Hope you guys continue to have an amazing time. See you soon. x

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb