QUEENSTOWN...falling into canyons... and Milford Sound.


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
February 1st 2008
Published: February 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Queenstown... the "Adventure Capital of New Zealand".

Queenstown was a really fun time. From the moment we got there, we were watching people bungee jump and psyching others up for the next day when they would do the "NEVIS" bungee jump which is the highest bungee jump in New Zealand (134 M!). They were terrified, one was waking up with cold sweats for 2 or 3 days before it even happened! They told us the thrill was worth it. Michael, Amy and I did the SHOTOVER CANYON SWING which was completely amazing. I won the Canyon Swing for my "great" costume at the Poo Pub Party at Lake Mahinapua while Michael and Amy had already decided they wanted to do it. We all "jumped" different ways... Amy went off the edge in a picnic chair, Michael pin-drop jumped (one of the harder ways to go because you actually have to do the jump yourself!) and I went BACKWARDS. Make sure you watch the video, it's AMAZING! I sound like a bit of an idiot, but ignore my talking and just enjoy watching me plunge 110m into a canyon at 150 km per hour!!

The nights in Queenstown were fun. We had one night with Kareoke at the hostel bar and our whole KIWI bus pretty much got up there at one point or another. I have a great video of the boys performing Angels by Robbie Williams. It was good fun.

Milford Sound was also totally incredible. The Milford Sound trip was a day trip out of Queenstown. It was a long day on the bus which was everyone's main complaint. We had about 4 1/2 hours each way for only about 2 hours at Milford Sound. It's located in the Fiordland National Park and is actually a Fiord, not a Sound at all! However, once you've seen a few photos, you can start to understand why it was "worth" the trip and why people say that going to Milford Sound is the "thing to do" in New Zealand. We had a 2 hour cruise out there and the weather wasn't 100% beautiful, but apparently Milford Sound tends to be temperate. It got quite nice out as we were finishing our cruise so the last few photos are completely brilliant!




Additional photos below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The team before the jump!!The team before the jump!!
The team before the jump!!

Michael, Amy and I
Crazy signCrazy sign
Crazy sign

It even points out the distance to the nearest SIGN!
CANYON SWING... BackwardsCANYON SWING... Backwards
CANYON SWING... Backwards

Make sure you watch the video... insane!!


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb