No Pete, I'm not going to skydive...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
March 29th 2007
Published: March 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Seriously Pete, is this really a great idea?Seriously Pete, is this really a great idea?Seriously Pete, is this really a great idea?

It would be very rude to repeat what she was saying at this point.

"No Pete, I'm not going to skydive..."




With the disappointment of 2 cancelled heli-hikes fresh in their minds Pete and Ang headed to Queenstown in search of another memorable activity. I’m not doing a skydive Ang stated as Pete dragged her into the adrenalin-junkie shop. Therefore Pete booked onto the 9,000ft skydive on his own with the intention of upgrading to 15,000ft on the day. Subtly enquiring how many places they had left on the trip, we found out there was only one more available space. Destiny please meet Angela, Angela meet destiny. Urgh/woohoo (?), the trip was booked for 9.30am the next morning.

It was a slightly restless night’s sleep for Angela who, by morning, was definitely regretting her decision and stated she would not be jumping from higher than 9,000ft. Pete had not a worry in the world - at this point.

We arrived at the shop, watched a dvd and heard a little talk about what was about to happen to us. After a little cajoling and reverse psychology from Pete, Ang decided it made some sort of good sadistic sense to jump from 12,000ft as 15 seconds freefall just isn’t enough. Afterall, if a 96 year old and 4 year old have both done a skydive with this company...

Out to the airfield/skydive base and we watched people shooting from the sky towards us whilst we waited for our turn. As we were waiting we chatted to a couple of very good salesmen and, before she realised, Ang was also signed up to the 15,000ft skydive complete with oxygen-assisted flight.

After a quick briefing we were crammed into the plane in our jump suits and very tight harnesses. Pete was lucky to get the emergency exit seat and had a great view straight down as we flew up. He was quite pleased he got this spot as if Ang had sat there she might have been back to the 9,000ft jump instead. Ang was content; having a parachute strapped to your back has to make it a pretty safe flight.

As the altimeters crept over 12,000ft we were passed oxygen masks as once planes get up this high it is a legal requirement. Before we knew it we had reached 15,000ft, the door opened, the red light turned to green and we were good to go…

Ang watched Pete slide to the edge of the plane, hang his feet out the door, go very pale and then disappear. Ang swears the plane rose another few hundred feet after unloading this bulk cargo. With her eyes tight shut, Ang edged near the door and soon was plunging to the ground as well.

The first 3 seconds were the most terrifying as we tumbled before gaining some kind of balance and worked out which way was up and down. Before we went up we were told to think of poses to pull in the air whilst dropping (did we mention, falling at 200km/hr within 12 seconds). Not sure how much thinking capacity the instructors thought we would have during freefall - it lasted 60 seconds but felt like no time at all. After falling nearly 3 and a half kilometres our instructors pulled the cord and we slowed to float down to the ground with a few twisting spirals to keep our heart rates up.

Landings were very smooth (Pete "glided in to a seating position" - basically landed on his backside).

We still have those fixed grins on our faces and haven't stopped talking about it all day. Definitely an experience we would recommend - worth getting over terrible nerves for.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Ang coming in to landAng coming in to land
Ang coming in to land

if you look closely she is even pointing her toes
Sasa and AngSasa and Ang
Sasa and Ang

Being attached to a 6'5" Yugoslavian helped cushion the fall
Pete and UrosPete and Uros
Pete and Uros

Balancing out the weight, Pete got the shortest instructor
Safe and soundSafe and sound
Safe and sound

Back on the ground - happy people!


29th March 2007

Aaargh
I'm sitting here after returning from NZ, suffering from jet lag, and I'm viewing this blog for the first time. My hands are sweating! Thank God I didn't stay a day longer!
29th March 2007

Lucky b*stards
Guys - wicked pictures. Looks like awesome fun. Shame about the heli-hike.
30th March 2007

Looking down from the north
Hi guys, loved the skydiving adventure - braver than we were. Nice one. We're in Paihia up't north. Yesterday we had 3 months worth of rain in 36 hours and the town was nearly a state of emergency. We were out on a day trip - oblivious - but couldn't get home that night so we had to hunker down and wait for the waters to receed. If you're up for more adventure, the north island awaits; try black water rafting or the tongariro crossing...or any of the other 100 crazy things they have thought of. Take care, have fun!
3rd April 2007

Safe and sound
Wow, we loved the backdrop of the mountains and lakes, looks like fantastic fun. Mark wasn't sure about Pete's "front bum" in the last photo, though! xxx

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb