Top Ten: New Zealand Job Ideas


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
December 25th 2006
Published: December 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

1) Work in the Milford Deep Observatory - involves daily scuba diving, gorgeous scenery, and telling people about marine life. Room & board & stipend. I honestly can't imagine a better summer job to have. The town is tiny (less than 200 people live there) and everyone who lives there works for the tourism industry. There's one bar, no one there is older than 35, and there's bonfires every night on the beach. People take out the boats after hours and dive, fish, hunt for crayfish and paua shells.

2) Guiding horse treks - involves daily encounters with horses and riding, and telling people about the local flora & fauna. Ok, I haven't actually been on a horse trek yet, but they're pretty much everywhere. And how fun would it be to be able to play with horses all day and live on a ranch? Darn cool.

3) Bringing California Cuisine to New Zealand - they are in desperate need of Jamba Juice, CPK, and Chipotle. There is a serious lack of cheap and fresh fruit, vegetables, and other staple foods like burritos and pizzas. Tang & I have this awesome idea to start a chain of restaurants which serves all the food we miss about CA - fresh squeezed smoothies (it's like these people haven't even heard of juice!!), made-to-order burritoes with carne asada and marinated pork, quesadillas, enormous tossed-to-order salads, organic foods, fresh sushi, etc. New zealand, in our opinions, is a healthy fine dining catastrophe, and we might be motivated enough to fix that.

4) Teaching Swing Dancing - The great part of this is that I can do it pretty much anywhere. Have a "Swing Night" at a hostel, with free lessons & a DJed dance party afterwards. Overnight cruises through the Doubtful & Milford Sounds could use a live jazz band in the evening, with swing lessons beforehand. Universities could use an entire social dance revival - I could be the Richard Powers of New Zealand (with his permission, of course 😉.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb