Day 166 New Zealand, Wellington to Picton


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Picton
May 2nd 2015
Published: May 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hello People,



We woke up this morning to a pleasant temperature; usually it’s a hurried clothes on under the covers because it’s so cold. We left our parked position on a housing estate about 30 minute bus ride from Wellington. We left about 7.15am, heading for the ferry check-in terminal. Our ferry crossing from Wellington to Picton was at 8.45am. We booked the tickets about 4 days ago online not realizing how expensive it was (approx. £214 for a single campervan ticket!!).



We arrived at the check-in queue with plenty of time, so we turned the gas on and Neil made us porridge on the stove. We boarded, parked up and found seats with a socket so we could charge up. I was hopeful that maybe there would be a random shower tucked away on board somewhere that we could use, but there wasn’t.



We read, wrote blogs, took pictures, filled as many empty water bottles up from the fountain before we arrived at Picton 3h20 later.



Once we arrived we headed off on highway 1, our first destination on the south island was to be Nelson. On the way we stopped off in Havelock for beans and bread for lunch, then about 14.30 we arrived into Nelson.



First stop was a shower in the city center, it was $2 and worth it as we felt dirty and now very clean, we found it by using the Britz/happy campers app on the iPhone.



We drove around looking for somewhere to camp for the night, it's hard trying to find a safe place to park up!! We found a football match being played and watched for a while but it didn’t look a safe place to park so we drove off a bit further. We eventually found somewhere not to stay but to fill up our water tank, empty out the grey water waste and finally the toilet waste!! (We have been looking for a couple of days for somewhere!!).



We found ourselves on Victoria Street, which gave us amazing views over the water but was on a slope so not ideal to park!! After a while we found a quiet street to park up on not far from the centre of town.



I started dinner of vegetable frittata and a side salad (no meat L), It was awesome and we had a glass of New Zealand wine “the Ned” with it (Such an amazing wine!!).



We watched the film the Wedding Ringer before both going to the land of the nod!!!



Good Productive day!!





Love V&N X


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb