The long drive to Picton....


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Picton
September 13th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got up much earlier than usual and suprised ourselves when we were on the road by 8.30am. Deciding not to stop anywhere on the way, we arrived in Kaikarou on the east coast by lunchtime. We stopped for lunch at a seal lookout point and it wasn't until after the first sausage sandwich that we noticed a seal only metres away. He quickly became aggitated as we all started frantically taking photos.

Once lunch was finished and led by Dale we headed off over the rocky shore around the peninsula. After only 5 minutes we came across a seal preventing us from progressing any further. We spent about 5 minutes sizing each other up and then Dale realised that we should be ontop of the cliff rather than in its shadow. This gave us a good excuse not to try and pass the angry seal and we headed back towards the car park. Our walk then continued along the safer route and we spent the next few hours traversing the cliffs and hills. We arrived back to the car after approximately 10km and decided to push onto Picton since we were to catch the Interisland ferry the following morning.

We made it to Picton just after dark and checked into a cheap campsite just outside town. I think the walking had taken it out of us, as Mark and Ollie were both in bed by 8.30pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb