Gondola Ride


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Queenstown
February 8th 2005
Published: February 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

QuenstownQuenstownQuenstown

with the Harris Mountains in the background
Couldn't sleep past 7:30 and i'm really tired, Fiona slept with ease as usual, her blisters are still pretty brutal so as she can hardly walk we are taking it pretty easy today. First things first we had to check we still had clothes, we hung up loads of washing last night when we got in then we got drunk and forgot about it till morning. I was relieved to see it still there when I wandered up to the laundry this morning.

It's a nice day here, nowhere near as hot as we've had but it's really sunny, I've got my shorts on anyway, mind you I've been known to wear shorts in February in Edinburgh so the fact that everyone else is in trousers will not sway me.

We went on a gongola ride today, after a shakey start when Fiona broke the pod that we were in grinding the ride to a halt, we were on our way up the steep climb to the top of Queenstown. It was an amazing view, all the different mountain ranges, the Southern Alps, the Unbelievables, it was great at the top too, a pricey restaurant and a bungey, we
A gondolaA gondolaA gondola

are we really getting in to that?
avoided both and went to the viewing deck. We met a couple of Swedish girls who were on our ice climbing adventure a couple of days ago, I don't think we've been anywhere in New Zealand where we hav'nt met someone from a previous place.

After our gondola ride we went back to the grounds of our hostel to read in the sun for a while then headed to the internet cafe to update these journals. We were in the cafe for about three hours and when we left it was quite cold out. Walking up the road Fiona was complaining about her sore leg saying it felt really weird. We stopped to take a look at it and got a bit of a fright to see it had swollen up pretty big. We debated what to do and eventually went to the medical centre round the corner. It was 9:30pm so if you wanted to see a doctor you had to pay $130. We thought na lets just see what happens! The nurse at the surgery advised her to keep it ellevated and put ice on it till the morning then if it was not better to go to the hospital. Needless to say I had a pretty restless nights sleep worrying that Fiona's leg would look like it had elephantitis in the morning. It looked not too bad in the morning so we thought we would drive to Dunedin and see about it there.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Fiona at the topFiona at the top
Fiona at the top

with the Harris Mountains in the background
AndrewAndrew
Andrew

at the top of the mountain


Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb