NZ - Fuggheddaboutit!!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Queenstown
October 15th 2005
Published: October 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

New Zealand - What a Beauty!
We've just about finished an incredibly nice week in Queenstown, on the South Island. We're both amazed at just how incredibly gorgeous the area is - breathtaking!! The two of us have been to some very amazing locations before but; we both agree that this must be one of, if not THE, most beautiful place. The mountains, lakes, fiords; the weather; the food; and the people - simply put, an A-plus experience!
We arrived on Sunday, 10/09, and have been up to something new everday. We have: taken the gondola to the top of a local hilltop to view Queenstown from above and take a hike; sat by the lake in the town gardens, relaxing and reading; Hiked to the top of Queenstown Hill - a 3 hour trip straight up and back; gone on a jetboat trip up the Dart River, into Lord of the Rings country; and taken a day trip out to fiordland and Milford Sound. Everything is amazing; the environment is just stunning.
The two of us have also toured the local food establishments and have enjoyed all types of meals and libations at many local spots. Most notably is the coffee guy we have befriended (known as StevoBinLatte). He serves the very best coffee and loves to joke and holler at all the locals driving by his roadside stand. He also has an amazing collection of the most absurd visual imagery from around the world - mostly from the web (think Sours, if applicable). We have dined on everything from soup to steak dinners. The Fishbone restaurant and our Thai food were the best but, the pizza and burgers were unique and tasty as well. We've frequented a local bar called Red Rock that serves inexpensive local drafts and is full of characters from the area.
New Zealand, on the whole, has been one great experience for the two of us. Aside from the Jack Johnson overkill on every stereo, it's been great. Easy to see the Lord of the Rings in all the scenery. Relatively affordable and the people have been all great. Neither of us opted for the pricey adrenaline activities (canyon swing, bungy, skydive, parapenting, etc.) but its been a blast all the same.
Now its off to the Great Barrier Reef and Queensland, AUS. Peace.

PS - This journal was written too hastily. So now, it must be ammended.

First, We forgot to mention that there are 40 million sheep in NZ, and they are everywhere. There are only 4 million people here, so do the math. Regretfully, lamb has been too expensive for any dinner, but all of those small sheep do look tasty. At least their wool has provided warm gloves and beanies. Also forgot to mention our stay @ the Christchurch Airport - on the floor. Our layover allowed us a comfortable six-hour nap on the hard floor. Another thing: after being in warm sunny weather (from: CHI; to SEA; to Cali; to Hawaii; to Sydney) we've finally hit some cold weather. The temp has been between 60 degrees on a sunny day and high 20's on the colder days with windchill. The weather has justified our thorough packing of all types of gear. Well, we think that's adequate enough. Peace again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb