Man, that's steep


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Dunedin
March 11th 2006
Published: March 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

So, Dundedin is the Scottish city of New Zealand - lots of Scottish influence, architecture, names, etc. We mosied over there for a couple of days after our little wildlife excursion on the Peninsula. It's kind of a college town - one of New Zealand's best universities is there (Univ of Dundedin). It was rainy - which apparently isn't uncommon for them. We went to the World's steepest Street (Baldwin Street) and climbed up it - you walk straight up it (and it's significantly steeper than Lombard Street) with no switchbacks. You literally feel like you're going to slide backwards down it - thankfully there are stairs you can use on the way down!

We also went to the Cadsbury factory in Dundedin and stuffed our faces full of chocolate! Not quite as ridiculous as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but a crazy amount of chocolate - the smell was overwhelming for Melissa, but intoxicating to me (just like those bowls of melted chocolate back in Spain!).

Other than that we didn't have a ton of time. We did go out to try and find the sushi joint recommended in the travel book and ended up at another little
Feeling bloated in front of the mounds of Cadsbury'sFeeling bloated in front of the mounds of Cadsbury'sFeeling bloated in front of the mounds of Cadsbury's

Here we are making our best fat face!
one that seemed alright. Our first clue that something was wrong should have been when we got a strange look ordering spicy tuna, but we were too tired to notice. Out second clue should have been when he went to check if they could make the tuna maki "spicy" and the cook came out and said OK. Anyway, they brought out canned tuna rolled into maki that looked terrible and tasted worse. The salmon sashimi tasted really off to me also, then I had to walk through the kitchen to get to the bathroom and let's just say we didn't stay very long after that and certainly quit eating their cuisine right away. Almost enough to make me stop craving sushi! Of course, a couple of thoughts about those wonderful meals at Nobu Miami or Oishi Boston and I'm cured!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Indian Santa Claus?Indian Santa Claus?
Indian Santa Claus?

Everyone had to wear a hairnet in the chocolate factory, but I got the added pleasure of a goatee-net also, much to everyone's amusement, but most of all, my wife-to-be


22nd March 2006

Love those cadbury eggs!!!
Hope I am getting a years supply!!! I will be waiting for them!!!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb