Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago » Dunedin
February 14th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived on the 12th, taking our time coming down the eastern coast of the island.

I am going to publish this now, and fill in the journal later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

From the peninsulaFrom the peninsula
From the peninsula

Dunedin also has a peninsula like Christchurch, called the Otago Peninsula with a high road and a low road forming a loop.
Looking down at the wavesLooking down at the waves
Looking down at the waves

Just staring into the clear water.
Eating Al FrescoEating Al Fresco
Eating Al Fresco

I must be turining into my mother! We have lots of "pitnics" (that's how she used to say the word) and really enjoy them. Not always a picnic table available, so we improvise. The tarp is getting more use in picnics than under a tent.
Being practicalBeing practical
Being practical

If your cedar hedge dies, it can still work as a fence.
Red Hot PokersRed Hot Pokers
Red Hot Pokers

Dunedin is the spot to see these. Many homes and gardens sport large plantings of them.
The end of the world.The end of the world.
The end of the world.

Going along the road that seems to drop away - actually just a few hundred foot drop at the edge. Travelling on the high road of the Otago Peninsula.
Seals at the Albatross CentreSeals at the Albatross Centre
Seals at the Albatross Centre

These two fellas are taking a nap on the tourist's side of the fence that normally protects them from prying eyes of humans. The sign said they are young males escaping the attacks of dominant males in the herd.
Baby Blue PenguinBaby Blue Penguin
Baby Blue Penguin

Just near the seals is a nesting place for Blue Penguins, a smaller variety native to NZ. The babies stay in the nests while the adults fish. Tourists stay behind a fence to watch the adults come in to feed the babies two hours before dusk.
Uh - a church?Uh - a church?
Uh - a church?

Dunedin, like Christchurh, is full of older buildings, in Edwardian and Victorian styles. I took this one yesterday in the Octagon, the central portion of downtown Dunedin dominated by this large Anglican church.
Visiting the rellies!Visiting the rellies!
Visiting the rellies!

Last night, we went to Tunnel Beach with Jacquie and her fiancee Dave, and his two daughters Caitlyn and Jessica. This is a favourite outing for visiting friends Dave tells me.
Nope, not The TunnelNope, not The Tunnel
Nope, not The Tunnel

That hole in the rock on the lower right is not the Tunnel. Instead the term refers to a tunnel of steps leading down to the beach, built by an owner of a nearby castle to give his family easy access to it.
Tunnel BeachTunnel Beach
Tunnel Beach

We went down the tunnel of steps to the beach.
A Rock.A Rock.
A Rock.

Any questions?
All SandstoneAll Sandstone
All Sandstone

I could chip it away with my hands.
MusselsMussels
Mussels

Tiny mussels were growing in the shallow pits in the sandstone. Jessica and I check them out.
Ocean Beach RoadOcean Beach Road
Ocean Beach Road

was behind the family park where we are staying in a Tourist Flat. It would be a nice walk if it weren't raining. Actually at this point it was just drizzle.
Ocean Beach RoadOcean Beach Road
Ocean Beach Road

borders on a golf course that is also behind our park.
 Mt Cargill Mt Cargill
Mt Cargill

We also drove up to Mount Cargill to have a look down on Dunedin.
Mt CargillMt Cargill
Mt Cargill

Pat had been hoping to get in a game of golf but the rain got in the way.
Mt CargillMt Cargill
Mt Cargill

Lots of bodies of water around the city


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb