Richmond Day 5 - Pic’s Peanut Butter World and Broadgreen Historic House


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region
December 5th 2022
Published: December 6th 2022
Edit Blog Post

This morning the four of us walked the Jimmy Lee Creek Circuit, a short walking trail through native bush that begins on the other side of Robin and Sandra’s street almost opposite their house. Woo hoo, I actually started the day with my exercise ring well underway before lunchtime!

After an early lunch Robin and Sandra headed out to play Mahjong and we drove to Pic’s Peanut Butter World for the 1.30pm tour of the factory. The peanut butter factory was founded by Bruce ‘Pic’ Picot in his garage in 2005 because he couldn’t buy peanut butter at the supermarket without added sugar. In 2008 he started selling his peanut butter at Nelson’s famous Sunday Market, but almost immediately could not keep up with demand so it was time to open his first factory.

The company has continued to expand since then now employing over 50 people and selling in New Zealand, Australia, the United States, Singapore and China. The enterprise has a couple of Australian connections. The peanut roaster, known as ‘Roasting Matilda’, is from Australia and the peanuts are sourced from Australia and Brazil. The company is currently experimenting with growing its own peanuts in New Zealand but, apparently, the climate is not quite right.

From the factory we made our way to Broadgreen Historic House built for the Buxton Family in 1855 using an early colonial cob (firmly packed mud and horsehair) construction technique. Members of the Buxton family lived in the house until 1901 when it was sold to Fred Langbein, whose family lived there until 1965 when it was purchased by the Nelson City Council.

It was a very quiet afternoon at the house and, after an introduction by the afternoon’s volunteer guide, we were let loose to explore on our own. I really enjoyed the textile and period costume collection that is currently being exhibited in the house. The oldest piece was a quilt worked in Ireland in 1776!! This afternoon I had the dress-up room to myself so it was easy to select a garment to wear for another photograph. I really hope that photos of me dressing up at historic properties here in New Zealand will support my argument to reinstate the visitors’ costume rack at the period house that I volunteer at in Melbourne.

After finishing up inside the house we ventured out into Samuel’s Rose Garden. The rose garden was established in 1968 and provides a beautiful setting for Broadgreen House. The garden celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2018 and today boasts a collection of approximately 3,000 rose plants that includes around 560 varieties.

Sandra won Jo tonight. The Aussies have not yet won a game of Jo! One game each of Bolivia again this evening. The current tally: NZ-7 vs AUS-5.





Steps for the day: 9,986 (6.56km)


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Umbrella stand, Broadgreen HouseUmbrella stand, Broadgreen House
Umbrella stand, Broadgreen House

Something different to do with broken crockery!


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb