The Northern bits of the South Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Nelson Region » Golden Bay
February 12th 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

So, here we are sitting in our car at our campsite at the base of Mt. Cook hiding from the rain, finishing the last of a bottle of Cab. Sauv., eating TimTams, and trying to think of something interesting to write for our blog. We’re getting a bit behind since New Zealand doesn’t have much for free Wifi. Seems that the only place that you can get free internet is McDonalds, and sadly there aren’t many of those either.

We’ve been super busy lately and time is going by so fast. You would think that 3 months would be lots of time for New Zealand, but there’s just so much to see. From Abel Tasman, we headed north to Golden Bay and treated ourselves to a nice motel for a night. It was just what we needed to clean up from kayaking, and do laundry, etc. From there we went up to the Farewell Spit and spent 2 nights camping at Wharariki Beach. It’s a beautiful beach with all sorts of caves and arches that have been carved into the rocks by the ocean and the wind. We were lucky enough to have great weather and low tide for sunset on both nights down at the beach. We also hiked from Wharariki Beach to Cape Farewell which is the Northern tip of the South Island. We would have gone farther, but it was so hot and we ran out of water so we decided to turn back after a picnic lunch.

Next blog we head south down the West Coast!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Jelly thingJelly thing
Jelly thing

Not sure what this is but there were lots on the beach.
Pupu springsPupu springs
Pupu springs

One of the cleanest water sources on Earth.


21st February 2011
Arch at Wharariki Beach

Stunning photo
I love the light in this shot - well done!
21st February 2011
Wharariki Beach Twilight

wow this is amazing....
21st February 2011
Arch at Wharariki Beach

stunning
21st February 2011
Jelly thing

love the contrast
21st February 2011
Sunset reflection

colours here are amazing, something only nature could express
21st February 2011
Arch at Wharariki Beach

If I am not mistaken, there is quite a bit of mythological history behind this rock? something to do, with mermaids, or ( watermen) and a girl who fell in love with one of them correct? apparently the locals still believe they can hear her crying out her love for him at night? and that the hole is meant to be there gateway to love?? something along those lines? maybe im thinking of a different rock formation but its quite something to forget?
21st February 2011

Wow - you've made it to New Zealand!!! Is this the last leg of your trip or is there more to come? Beautiful photos as always.
21st March 2011

sheep
did you learn to shear any sheep??

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb