Mount Cook National Park


Advertisement
Published: December 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It seemed all slept well, and we'd ordered breakfast to be delivered to the room as a little treat. The weather had thankful changed for the better and the sun was shining through the window. We headed off to pick the camper vans up a little after 8, which wasn't too far from the motel. When we arrived, the guy said he was expecting us in the afternoon. Michelle was having none of it and explained she'd emailed a few times saying we'd be there for 9. One van was ready so we just had to wait for the other one to be restocked for bedding etc, so we went to the supermarket to save some time for later on. This was after we'd had the warning about Earthquakes, avalanches, high winds etc. the van we were meant to hire had been toppled or more accurately blown over in strong winds, so we had the warning about that.

The supermarket was ok and we managed to get most stuff to keep us going for the next couple of days. We did overspend by quite a bit more than we budgeted for, but needs must (especially when Daryl eats every 2 hours) so we stocked up and dropped Daryl and Gatch back to pick up the second van whilst we headed back to the motel to pack up.

It wasn't long before we were on the road heading for our first port of call, Lake Tekapo.

On the way we drove through a place called Hornby, (we get everywhere) and bought some ice lollys from a Salmon centre. We stopped off at a little church which was the oldest in New Zealand. Jan got talking to the locals, so we decided we'd have time to make a brew (Daryl was wilting by this point).

We got to lake Tekapo which was beautiful, a really stunning place with lovely blue water. (Which Michelle informs us it is due to the finely grounded rocks and air from the glaciers-it's probably more in depth than that but I can't quite remember what she said!)

We visited the church of the good shepherd which has stunning views, and all the way there were gorgeous purple lupin flowers along the side of the road. We managed to get a good few photos here, and then stopped at a lovely viewpoint of Mount Cook for some lunch ( by this time though it was pretty much tea as the day had just flown by). We got to the Camp Site by Mount cook village with yet more stunning views along the way. Most of us were quite tired, and even Michelle struggle to keep her eyes open for a bit of food. Rhyd made a lovely tea and as the boys had a few beers, the girls gave into sleep and got into bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb