Grant and Rae's NZ Trip


Advertisement
Published: January 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Christchurch....Christchurch....Christchurch....

......the Botanic Gardens
One pic from Christchurch that I couldn't add last night attached.

Had a very good run down from Christchurch via Amberley and Fairlie. Great sightseeing weather again. Stopped off at Mt John (1000m up - good road!) for spectacular views over Lake Tekapo towards Mt Cook; then again at the Mt Cook Scenic Lookout at the bottom of Lake Pukak. Views are truly "awesome". Accommodation here is at The Hermitage Hotel in a chalet - excellent. Did the shortish Governor's Bush Walk (60 mins) and the Bowen (same governor!) Bush trail - only 15 mins. Ate in the backpackers grill bar - and didn't feel out of place. Ceratainly weren't the oldest ones in there!

Then we did our stargazing bit: started off in the Planetarium in the hotel and then moved out to the airfield to get away from artificial light (not that there is much). BIG telescope and binoculars set up and we saw Alpha Centauri,Jupiter inc. 2 of its moons,the Milky Way and various outher "stuff" - the astronomer guy was very keen! As I said to Rae "It's all a bit over my head!". Fortunately the hotel issued down coats as it was very chilly out there at 10 pm plus!

Lots of pics to follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Aoraki Mt Cook from...Aoraki Mt Cook from...
Aoraki Mt Cook from...

...Scenic Lookout at the bottom of Lake Pukaki
View of Mt Sefton from ....View of Mt Sefton from ....
View of Mt Sefton from ....

.......our chalet lounge!


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb