7th February 2008


Advertisement
Published: February 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

7th February 2008
Today we woke up to a another clear bright sky with not a cloud in sight. We had planned to spend three days here at Aoraki/Mount Cook in the hope of getting one good day for us to see the mountains and do a walk. As it has turned out we have had perfect weather for all three days.
We set off early today, before the sun got too hot, to walk up the Hooker Valley to the glacier lakes at the end of the Hooker glacier. We started off in cool temperatures and some shade. The first glacier lake we came to was from the Mueller glacier which comes down from Mt Montgomery . Then we crossed a swing bridge into the Hooker Valley which has magnificent mountain scenery on both sides and views of Mt Cook. It is not a walk to be rushed as the views on every twist and turn of the track are excellent and need time to be savoured. The terminal lake of the Hooker Glacier was very grey with icebergs floating in it. They look like strange creatures basking in the sun before they melt away and flow down the river. By midday the sun was getting hotter and we were pleased to get back to the motel and have a shower and cool down. Also the coach loads of tourists were building up making the track rather crowded.
This evening we drove 60 km back to Twizel to a cafe we had found on the way to Mt Cook and had a very pleasant meal. The town is in the middle of nowhere but they have left the big machinery from the hydro electricity scheme in the park for the kids to play on. See pictures of a big kid!
Tomorrow we leave here for Geraldine and a night of packing and washing before we go to the airport on our way to Australia.
It taken 3 days to find a internet access point which will accept our blog! Hope it was worth the wait. Australia here we come.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



8th February 2008

Well worth the wait
Once again truly awesome pictures, you have definitely sold me on New Zealand, would Vern and Annette be willing to do it all again next year! It seems like you've been in New Zealand for ever, can't believe you've got more adventures yet to come! Happy travelling and see you in Oz!
8th February 2008

Returned home
I have just sent you an email. Enjoyed your blog while we have been at Arthur.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb