Mile High, Destination Unknown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Methven
July 15th 2010
Published: August 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

As the wavering red glow shrunk and then disappeared into the still-dark sky, the decision was made - there was going to be no launch from the centre of town, and we went in search of calmer skies to cast away into.

Not too much later, just as the sun was rising, another helium filled balloon was released to assess the winds and the launch site for our hot air balloon adventure was decided. This, we were informed, is a team sport - so it was all hands required to unload the basket, burner and envelope (balloon). Actually, it was more a case of 'take photos of the sunrise while the pilot and ground crew unload them', but everyone was needed to help spread the envelope.

Slowly that lifeless rainbow started to come alive, and once inflated with cold air the burners were switched on. When our pilot Dean gave the word, everyone scrambled into the basket.

It's a strange sensation to not feel you have moved, yet to see the earth disappearing away from you. We're soon distracted from watching our ground crew turn into ants, by the amazing view. On the way to reaching a height of 1600m / 1 mile, the clear skies allowed a view as far as Mt Cook - the highest mountain in New Zealand. In comparison, almost within touching distance were Mt Hutt and Mt Somers.

Although the balloon can be spun around, there is no form of steering. Literally, we were drifting where the winds chose to take us, destination unknown. Fortunately there was no in danger of having to hitchhike back into town. The ground crew were in radio contact with our pilot, and were able to navigate according to Dean's directions and get a visual on us.

You would think that livestock might take offense at a giant multi-coloured balloon with people attached, landing in their paddock. But no, in these parts we are apparently nothing unusual. Neither are farmers fussed - though they don't appreciate it if you land in the middle of their crops.

After skimming over treetops we come not crashing back to earth, but land with no more than a few of the slightest of bumps. Obediently we stay in the basket, like human paperweights in a battle with the Goliath balloon, until we're told we can get out without danger of returning skyward hanging onto only a handful of wicker.

Minutes later the gentle giant has had the life squashed from it, and is packed up and loaded onto the trailer to await its next journey. For us though the morning is not over. What better way to celebrate than with a champagne breakfast in the warming sun.

Champagne served another purpose in the pioneering days of ballooning. Initially animals and then prisoners, we were told, were used in the experimental stages of balloon flight. If the prisoner survived, they were pardoned having repaid their debt. If they didn't survive, well....
Later when French pioneers would land, to save themselves from attack by the frightened locals they would present champagne - a comodity only affordable by aristocrats. The tradition is continued on today by Dean and the crew, who give a bottle of champagne to whichever farmer owns the land the winds carry them to. After reciting the Balloonist's Prayer (which Dean no longer says before flight, as it tended to result in passengers climbing out of the basket), it's time for breakfast served up on a silver tray.

After going on a tandem skydive a number of years ago (the 'one-off' that turned out to be just the start of another chapter), I thought a hot air balloon ride might be boring in comparison. It's not - rather, it's a ride of a different sort of magic.

I don't normally mention companies in my entries, but if you're in New Zealand and considering going for a ride in one of these gentle giants, Aoraki Balloon Safaris will definitely give you your money's worth.


- Balloonists' Prayer -

"May the winds welcome you with softness,
May the sun bless you with his warm hands,
May you fly so high and so well, that God joins you in laughter,
and sets you gently back into the loving arms of Mother Earth"


(Author Unknown)

More photos below....




マイルハイ、行き先不明

まだ暗い空に消えた小さな赤い光がぐらぐらしていたので都心から揚げないのが決まった。もっと穏やかな空を探しに行くことになった。しばらくして、ちょうど日が昇る時、風を再評価するためもう1個のヘリウムを入れた風船が解き放たれて、熱気球アドベンチャーを揚げる場所が決まった。

パイロットによると気球乗りはチームのスポーツで、バスケット、バーナーと気嚢をトレーラーからおろすのも皆が手伝わなくてはならないそうだ。私たちはそれは手伝わずに朝日の写真を撮ったが、気嚢を広げるためには皆が協力した。

だんだんその生命のない虹色の気嚢が動き始めて、冷たい風でいっぱいになったらバーナーが付けられた。パイロットのディ-ンが合図して乗客の皆がバスケットに乗った。動かなかったと思ったのに、土が小さくなるのは変な感じだ。地上勤務員が蟻のように小さくみえるようになってから地上勤務員から目をそらしてきれいな景色を眺めた。

1600メートル(1マイル)の高さまで昇る途中に晴れている空のおかげでマウント・クックというニュージーランドの一番高い山が見えるようになった。もっと近くて、もう少しで触れるぐらいにマウント・ハットとマウント・サマズが青空に聳えた。
パイロットは熱気球をくるくる回せるが、舵取り出来なくて風に熱気球の方向が決められた - 行き先不明。でも着陸してからヒッチハイクで帰らなくて良かった。地上勤務員は無腺でパイロットと通信して、彼の指導で着陸所が分かった。

人間が乗っているでっかい多色熱気球が空から降下するなら、家畜は怖がると思うでしょう。実は、この辺では熱気球が異常なものじゃなくて、家畜は私達をぜんぜん見なかったようだった。自作農も平気だが、作物の中に着陸するとちょっと怒られる。

木の上部をすれすれに飛んで超えて、ゆるゆると軽くに着陸した。乗る前にパイロットに言われたように熱気球から空気が完全にあふれ出されるまで、皆がバスケットから降りないままでいた。誰も巨人のような熱気球との戦いでバスケットにぶら下がって空に帰りたくなかった。

数分後に多色の生き物が地上にじっとしていた。10分以内でトレーラーに積み込まれて、その次の日の旅を待っていた。しかし、私達にとってはアドベンチャーがまだ終わっていなかった。祝いする方法として暖かくなっている日差しにシャンパンで乾杯するのはなんて素晴らしい!

熱気球の始め頃動物、その後に囚人、がバスケットに乗らせられた。もし囚人は生き残ったら自由にされた。もし生き残らなかったら。。。

1780年代にシャンパンが貴族だけ買える余裕があったぐらい高かったから、熱気球のフランス人の先駆者は着陸する時地元の自作農に襲われないように自作農にシャンパンをプレゼントした。現在パイロットのディーンと地上勤務員は熱気球が着陸所を所有する自作農にもシャンパンをプレゼントして伝統を続ける。前はディーンは離陸前に「熱気球のパイロットの祈り」を言ったが急にバスケットから降りたくなった乗客がいったので、今は代わりに着陸の乾杯する時に言う。

数年前に始めてスカイダイビングした時、スカイダイビングに比較すると熱気球に乗るのはつまらないかなと思ったが、そうではない。もちろん違う経験だが、また素晴らしいのだ。

普段はブログに会社の名前を書かないけど今回は書く。ニュージーランドにいる間熱気球に乗ろうと思っている人にアオラキ・バルーン・サファリという会社を勧める。


- 「熱気球者の祈り」-

「風があなたを穏(おだ)やかに迎えますように、
太陽が暖かい日差しであなたを祝福しますように、
高く楽しく飛んで、一緒に笑ってから神様が
母なる大地にあなたを安全に帰らせてくれますように」

(筆者不明)



Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



4th December 2010

Mile High...
Good (and interesting) story and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing this!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb