Blog #13 - Queen Charlotte Track - Day 1


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Marlborough
December 19th 2010
Published: December 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Blog #13 Queen Charlotte Track Day 1– November 30 - The Marlborough Sounds were beautiful. A ‘sound’ is formed, geologically speaking, by rivers carving valleys to the sea, and subsequently the sea waters rising, creating steep and narrow inlets, Our journey began at Ship Cove, so named by Captain Cook when he used it for safe anchorage. To get there, we took a ‘water taxi’, along with a large group of people who were day hiking. Our first day took us around the shores of Resolution Bay and Endeavour Inlet, both named after Captain Cook’s ships.

The trail was a series of ups and downs, rarely flat, as it wound its way along the shoreline. After the steep inclines it was great to stand and look at
the stunning landscapes while we caught our breath. We delighted in the foliage, the huge trees, and every step we took was accompanied by bird song. The weather cooperated beautifully – there was some overcast and mist in the mornings which was quite welcome for the coolness it afforded, and the afternoons were hot and sunny, by which time we were close to our destinations.

Jim and I were able to put our newly hatched bird identification skills to good use, trying to pinpoint the many singers around us. We had our first (of many) weka sightings. Wekas are noisy friendly chicken sized birds who think that your lunch is their lunch. Look how closely this one is approaching Jim, apparently thinking that if he (the weka) just pretends Jim isn’t there…Jim won’t be there. (Mind you, this is the New Zealand approach as evidenced by the fact that there are a lot of mosquitoes and sand flies and no window screens. If I just pretend those bugs aren’t there….)

In addition to bird life, wild boars also live in the Marlborough Sounds area. The signs claimed that if you were so fortunate as to see one, it would be very frightened and would run into the bushes. Many times I heard crashing in the bushes and stopped and peered around, hoping to see a wild boar….but a weka would emerge. However, you can see by the number of wild boar jaws nailed up at our bed and breakfast that our host has seen a few that weren’t wekas.

What a civilized way to hike! When we arrived at Cnoc na Lear, our bed and breakfast for the first night our luggage was waiting for us, brought by the water taxi. We shared the B&B with an interesting couple from Brisbane, Mick and Jill. The next morning we left our luggage out by the door, and when we arrived later at Punga Cove for our second evening, there it was. I may be ruined for genuine backpacking for life!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



20th December 2010

NZ is so well organized on the big trekking areas. I loved having my bags carried too. YOu all seem to be having a grand time. so pleased. I think Rachel has joined you by now. I like all the pictures and following your story line with all the interesting little bits.
20th December 2010

Tis' the season!
Hi and tis' the season to wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS. Love your blogs. God's Blessings to you all Carol and Lew

Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb