Happy Campers!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
January 7th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Lake Tekapo 16 secs
We determined on our first night in Kaikoura that we aren't the best no luxury campers in the world. It's not really a new discovery as I recall us fighting for 2 mattresses each instead of 1 during our camping trip in Africa. But for some reason we were suprised. Firstly that New Zealand can be so hot during the day and so freezing at night! And secondly that the ground is really the most uncomfortable surface you can sleep on. I mean our primitive ancestors even used padding (soft leaves etc) before plonking themselves down on the ground for a good nights sleep. So our first night in the tent saw us freezing nearly to death over lumps and bumps before getting in the car at 5am for a couple of hours of good sleep before hitting the road and promising ourselves to buy a good quality duvet and air mattress at the nearest Warehouse store. Lesson learned and south we go.

From Kaikoura we headed down the coast bound for Christchurch. Took the scenic route and had a beautiful stop in Gore Bay for a walk on the beach and a view of the Cathedral Rocks. Had our first night sleeping in the car at Waikuku Beach (complete with toliets!). We read our books on the beach, caught the end of a sand castle competition and watched a movie before drifiting off - it didn't feel much like roughing it!

Next day we hit the first Warehouse we could find and are now the proud owners of an exremely comfy air mattress and duvet! Had a bit of trouble locating the town centre in Christchurch so decided to skip it and head straight for Akaroa on the Banks Peninsula via the scenic route. Akaroa is a beautiful little French place named town sat on a bay and surrounded by mountains. The location was stunning and we had a full view of it all from our campsite.

Leaving the Banks Peninsula we headed back for Christchurch and this time were sucessful in finding the town centre, the cathedral (with a lovely wooden ceiling and rose window) and the botanic gardens on the banks of the Avon to see the rose garden in full bloom.

Left the city on the straightest road in NZ and had our first free "driver reviver" break. Driver safety is a big thing in NZ. So 100 kms from Christchurch they offer a free pot of tea to the driver of each car in order to keep them awake. Poor Ev was a bit disappointed that he wasn't driving! After my well deserved caffeine boost we kept going to Lake Tekapo through the Mackenzie District. All manner of springtime flowers decorated the roadside courtesy of mother nature. We arrived to the powder blue waters of Lake Tekapo before dark and with enough time to get me a bed for the night due to my very sore throat (pore Ev had another night in the car!). The highlights of the town besides the sweeping and amazing views were the small church built on the banks of the lake (with a picture window view at the front), a sheep dog statue and the hydro electric works (that provide over 1/5th of NZ power- great green energy!).

We tried to go up to the Mt John Observatory to see one of the best southern skies in the world however high cloud cancelled the show. So up early the next day we met up with a colleague of Ev's sister Lexi and he took us on a private tour of the mountain top facility. Very cool! Got some great photos of the mountain top and saw the biggest telescopes of our lives. Too bad we missed out on that night sky though!

Next stop Mt Cook via another powder blue lake near Twizel. We drove the 45 minutes to Mt Cook and were disappointed with hanging rain clouds instead of a view when we arrived. Good thing the drive was a beautiful one! We will have to try to see the mountain from the other side in a few weeks.

Deciding it was best not to tempt fate by camping in the wind and rain we escaped and headed for the coast via some Lord of the Rings scenery. Arrived to our cheapest campsite to date (only 8 dollars per person) with a very UK caravan park feel. The park was filled with happy family campers eager to know our business and give us some hearty Kiwi advice on how best to see their country. Right on the beach it was a steal.

Heading for Otago Peninsula tomorrow and hopefully some wildlife.


Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Statue in ChristchurchStatue in Christchurch
Statue in Christchurch

what does it all mean?


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb