Dunedin to Lake Tekapo


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Lake Tekapo
October 20th 2007
Published: November 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop of the morning, before we'd even left Dunedin, was at the worlds steepest street. Apparently a map of Dunedin was sent to England to have the streets designed but they didn't put in the contours so some streets are ridiculously steep - like this one!!

The next stop of the day was at a place called Moeraki Boulderswhich were round boulders in on the beach and in the sea! You have to see the pics, will try and get them uploaded asap! We sat and had a coffee and looked over the beach which was stunning, then back on the bus.

The country side we were driving in was very different again! It was alot flatter with the biggest water distibuter things that were literally miles long!! They were using these so that they could turn alot of the disused land into grazing land! All very interesting eh!!! We stopped briefly at a salmon farm and watched these huge fish jumping in their pools whenever food was thrown in, pretty cool, and any chance to get off the bus appreciated!! After lunch at a tiny little town with the most flashy boats I've ever seen in my life, and just before we pulled in the bus driver told us we'd just been over taken by Ritchie McGraw, the captain of the All Blacks (apparently he has a distinctive number plate and is known to glide in the area!) Pretty cool; we stopped at a really stunning lake which was supposed to have a view of Mt. Cook, but yet again, although the rest of the sky was perfectly clear, Mt. Cook was covered by cloud.

We got into Lake Tekapo about mid-afternoon and stopped at the tiniest church called the Church of the Good Shepherd, and a statue of a sheep dog, then we got dropped off at our hostel. It was stunning, very new and the communal area, and our room, had huge windows and a stunning view of the lake. After Sarah, Lou and I had settled in we went for a walk into town to taste it's delights and to find out where we could watch the rugby in the morning (England in the rugby finals, who'd have thought it!!). We wandered around and by the timw we got back and had a cuppa it was time for dinner. We finished off the day witha film - grease! Then went to bed in preparation for an early start to watch the rugby.
We a



Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb