Kaikoura Whale Watching


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
January 22nd 2013
Published: January 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Road to Kaikoura


We left Christchurch on Monday 14th Jan and set off along the East coast to Kaikoura which was about 180km away.

It was a pleasant drive in sunshine and it seemed like we had left behind the dramatic' Lord Of The Rings' scenery further back down down the coast.

On route we picked up a couple of hitch hikers....proper backpackers from Prague & Barcelona....they had been travelling for a year with just their rucksacks, sleeping in kind hearted farmers barns & living off the land & sea....when we dropped them off in Kaikoura the car reeked of BO!

We arrived at Kaikura just as it started raining. The black cloud above Annie had followed us yet again! We checked into another 'Top 10 Resort' but this was not even' top 10,000'..... the room was bare apart from a bed and there were no utensils or anything in the communal kitchen. We even had to supply our own bedding. We were slowly lowering our standards in terms of the quality of accomodation and easing madam into the more basic places to stay but this was taking the p**s!

But, Kaikoura is one of the best whale watching spots
First day at the NOT 'Top ten resort'!!First day at the NOT 'Top ten resort'!!First day at the NOT 'Top ten resort'!!

Tiny room, no facilities and pouring rain! It was more like a police cell!!
on the earth and that was why we were there, this was the top of Annies 'bucket list' of things to see.

The next day was torrential rain and heavy winds all day. We were confined to our 'cabin' apart from a walk along the beach (paca macs on again!) and we visited the 'whale watching Kaikoura' office to book our seats for the following day.

All trips that day had been cancelled because of the weather.

The other 20 hours we spent sitting in a dingy room ..... I knew from the beginning that the box of wine was never going to last the full day!

On Wed 16th we awoke to sunshine. We hadn't been able to see much before then because of the cloud and rain. The mountains in the background were spectacular with snow on the summit....It was our day to go whale watching. The wind was still up but the trip was on.

We arrived at the office to collect the tickets, madam was soo excited but they warned us that conditions were poor and that sea sickness may be a problem.... but I'll say no more about that! (**STM
Kaikoura BeachKaikoura BeachKaikoura Beach

We've got our moneys worth out of these paca macs!
missed out some vital information ** as most of you you know STM is always going on about when he was in the Marines...spending 3 months at a time at sea....this was a 2 hour sailing & he threw up not once, not twice but THREE times....it was hilarious!!....wish I had my camera ready...you'll have to imagine the sight!)

First sight of whale....
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4197375497431&set=vb.1376066704&type=2&theater

Whale diving.....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4197391977843&set=vb.1376066704&type=2&theater



After the trip we took a walk along the beach and saw loads of seals sleeping next to us....(STM trying to get his land legs steady)

The next day we packed up after 3 days in Kaikoura and headed North along the East Coast towards Blenheim. Heading for the sunshine & ready to chill out & relax.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Kaikoura BeachKaikoura Beach
Kaikoura Beach

Glam look...
Our CabinOur Cabin
Our Cabin

...STM has seen bigger Police cells
The day of the tripThe day of the trip
The day of the trip

A fine day... no rain and black clouds... we never knew that there were mountains around the resort before!
We got the ticketsWe got the tickets
We got the tickets

Annie excited as we collected the tickets and they confirmed the trip was going ahead despite the warning about the conditions.
A Sperm Whale!A Sperm Whale!
A Sperm Whale!

largest mammal on our planet
Excited!Excited!
Excited!

Excited after seeing a whale
Beer timeBeer time
Beer time

Calming down after the trip with a walk on the beach and a beer


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb