Tha' she doesn't blow (or sick as an albatross )


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
October 18th 2011
Published: October 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

New FriendsNew FriendsNew Friends

Gulls in Kaikoura
Flight to Christchurch is on time and we even had time to invest in the business lounge before take off!
Picked up hire car and we're driving out of the airport 20 minutes after landing. Two hours up state highway 1finds us in the small coastal town of Kaikoura. Very picturesque with snow capped mountains tumbling down to the sea (do mountains 'tumble'?)
Extremely good meal at the White Morph restaurant (I'd recommend the seafood chowder ) & another excellent bottle of Cloudy Bay (of course! )
Early start the next morning (no time for breakfast ) as we have to be at the whale watch place at 7:15.
The first doubts arose when the noticeboard suggested we buy sea sickness tablets from the gift shop. (which we did)
A quick coach transfer took us to the boat on the windy side of the peninsular. Readers of a delicate disposition may wish to stop reading at this point.
Within 15 minutes of setting out the first passenger was sick. When we were moving everybody had to sit inside so it with some relief when the boat stopped to look for sperm whales. However that just meant the boat rocked even more
Rough SeasRough SeasRough Seas

Just looking at it makes me feel ill
so more people became sick. No whales sighted so we carried on inside the boat.
To cut a long story short we stopped twice more and still no bloody whales. I saw an albatross, one petrel and lots of bloody seagulls.
I succumbed at that point (George had had his head in sick bag for the previous 10 minutes) It didn't help when our guide began to explain the stomach contents of a killer whale. She didn't shut up for the entire trip.
With enormous relief we turned for home and an 80% rebate.
We had planned to go dolphin swimming next, you must be joking!
Now we're planning what to do next (once the horizon stops moving )
Any suggestions?



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Hanmer SpringsHanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs

Dicey bridge


Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb