Kaikoura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


KaikouraKaikouraKaikoura

This town is in such a beautiful location.
Kaikoura
December 1, 2008


A new month means the high tourist season has begun in NZ and the same caravan spot we had last night in Kaikoura is $6 higher tonight. All of the whale tours and other activities prices have also increased greatly overnight.

Our day was excellent. We spent most of it tramping the Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway which takes one over sea cliffs with views of craggy shores, clear water, and fur seal colonies and down into red-billed gull nesting areas. It took us four hours because we stopped so much and would have taken longer if we hadn’t hitchhiked the last mile that took us through town back to our van. A kind couple from Manchester, England picked us up saying we didn’t look very dangerous, but did ask if we were the famous South Island psycho killers. We answered that we might be psycho, but that we weren’t killers.

We then ate lobster and whitebait fritters at a food stand on the beach. We were pretty hungry and ate every delicious bite.

There is an old house in Kaikoura that is left from the old-time whaling days and its foundation is whale vertebrae, so we took a look at this. We parked the van near the beach about ten feet from a large fur seal. I walked too close to him as he scared the heck out of me with a loud barking reprimand. Joe thought my reaction (just about falling over backwards) was pretty funny. If he’d shot a video it might have made the top three for a night of America’s Funniest Home Videos…hmmm, wonder if a video taken in NZ would count.

We then headed up the hill to the Kaikoura Wine Company, a vineyard that seems out of place here, but is here nonetheless. It’s in a beautiful setting overlooking the sea and the people were very nice. We tasted five different wines, but were disappointed in all. This isn’t the primo wine area, so maybe this was to be expected.

The caravan park has a nice private enclosed hot tub that we had reserved for six o’clock. After the day hiking up and down cliffs that hot bubbly water felt so good and it was nice to have the spa all to ourselves. We had planned on going back into town for dinner, but were so relaxed and comfortable after the soak that we just ate soup in the van.

At the moment Joe is popping some kettle corn in the microwave. He knows how to make me happy.












Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

KaikouraKaikoura
Kaikoura

View from part of the Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway.
Fur Seal on WalkwayFur Seal on Walkway
Fur Seal on Walkway

This isn't the one that scared me.
KaikouraKaikoura
Kaikoura

This shows the Kaikoura Peninsula.
Street CafeStreet Cafe
Street Cafe

We ate lobster and whitebait here.
Kaikoura Wine CompanyKaikoura Wine Company
Kaikoura Wine Company

Joe on the balcony of the winery.
KaikouraKaikoura
Kaikoura

Some strange car!
Kaikoura ParkKaikoura Park
Kaikoura Park

These arches are whalebones.


2nd December 2008

This spot seems so beautiful. Do you like New Zealand better than Australia? (No offense to any Aussies lurking here)
3rd December 2008

We think Australia is more interesting. New Zealand is certainly a beautiful place. We met more Aussies and I think that was what made it fun. Here we are in places that have big concentrations of tourists. They're both wonderful places to visit, but I think I'd rather live in Australia.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb