A Dolphin Named Ralph


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
September 30th 2005
Published: October 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

View from KaikouraView from KaikouraView from Kaikoura

View from the water tower lookout in Kaikoura of the town and mountains.
We have seven minutes before the internet cafe closes, so please forgive the rushed (and very late) update.

The last couple of days have been very busy, full of new and fantastic experiences. A few moments ago, we walked along the cliffs of Kaikoura, overlooking the South Pacific, and said hello to a few friendly seals, watching us from the rocks while napping.

Earlier today we were part of a group that boated way out into open water to swim with Dusky Dolphins, smallish dolphins native to this part of the world. The sea was extremely rough, and the ride out to the dolphins not exactly comfortable, even for water babies such as ourselves. Once we got to the pod of about 100, we jumped in (after some hesitation on Geri's part, due to flashbacks to "Jaws.") We were surround by dolphins, all zipping around and under us at incredible speeds. It was tough to get a picture of them, because they moved so fast, but it was amazing just to watch them go by.

After the swimming expedition, and a few gulps of saltwater, we got back on the boat for the ride back to shore. So
Seal in KaikouraSeal in KaikouraSeal in Kaikoura

This seal's napping posture reminds Geri of Theo.
as not to share too much information, we'll just ask you to note the buckets in the picture of Geri in the wetsuit. We met some dolphins, one of whom we named Ralph. And then we did. Nuff said.

We're staying at a B&B in Kaikoura run by a 4th generation kaikourian couple, Ellen and Peter. It's almost like a homestay. We've met several of their grandchildren, seen their wedding pictures, learned about their dairy farm, and sampled some of Ellen's homemade cookies. The view from their backyard is one of the most breathtaking ever.

Before Kaikoura, we stayed in the tiny town of Marahau, adjacent to Abel Tasman National Park, on the northern coast of the South Island. Yesterday we went out with a small group and a guide to kayak along the shore of the park for about six hours. We covered about 16 kilometers/10 miles, due mostly to the fact that it was our guide Rob's last day at work after six years, and he wanted to get us as far as possible. We made a few stops on golden, untouched beaches, for tea and lunch, and also paddled up to a seal colony where
First Time in a WetsuitFirst Time in a WetsuitFirst Time in a Wetsuit

Geri's first time in a wetsuit about to swim with dolphins in the South Pacific (note the buckets).
we watched a family of about 8 seals playing in the water. It was an incredible experience, to be remembered for a lifetime. The most incredible thing is that Geri lasted the whole six hours, paddling the whole time, without pooping out!

We stayed in a Backpackers (hostel) near the park, way up in the mountains. The surrounding area was mostly farmland, so the soundtrack to the days there was noisy with mooing, baaaahing, and cock-a-doodle-doos. The rooster was very enthusiastic, and crowed for several hours, which was quaint and interesting at first, but became tiresome very quickly.

Near Marahau, we drove up Mt. Takaka for a view from Hawkes Lookout. Achingly beautiful.

Shop's closing, more later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Kayaking Abel TasmanKayaking Abel Tasman
Kayaking Abel Tasman

Brian and Geri kayaking in Abel Tasman National Park.
Marahau from our RoomMarahau from our Room
Marahau from our Room

View of the countryside near Marahau/Abel Tasman National Park from our room at Southern Exposure Backpackers.


30th September 2005

Not all that dorky
Ya know, when you guys first said that you were going to do a blog, my initial thought was that it was Brian's charming dorkyness coming out (I can say that because I'm your sister). But I am truly enjoying reading your entries and seeing the amazing pictures. I'm pretty sure Geri's doing most of the entries, and now I know she has this hidden talent for painting a perfect and funny picture through writing - I can't wait to hear the REAL stories!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0985s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb