Kaikoura


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
March 7th 2007
Published: March 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I forgot to add this one in before, so it's a bit out of place. We stopped in Kaikoura after Abel Tasman. While in Kaikoura, we went snorkeling with wild dolphins. It was crazy how you could actually make contact with a wild animal, and they would attempt to play with you by swimming circles and diving with you. We found out after it all that there was actually a shark in with us, but since we didn't know this during it all, it kept the nerves down a lot more than they otherwise would have been!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

WaterWater
Water

A view out into the ocean from the shoreline we stayed along.
MountainsMountains
Mountains

The mountains across the water from us as the sun began to set.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

The sun setting over Kaikoura.
BoatBoat
Boat

This is one of the boats that took us out to the dolphins. Once out there, we got dressed in all our scuba gear, and when the horn sounded we all slid off the back of the boat.
BoatBoat
Boat

A look at what we looked like with all our gear on and interacting with the dolphins. Making "dolphin noises" helped get the dolphins' attention, but it also gave a good laugh to the non-swimmers on the boat.
DolphinsDolphins
Dolphins

A few of the hundreds of dolphins we got to swim with.
SmilesSmiles
Smiles

Amanda and Lana all smiles in the back of the boat on the way back in from our swim.
SpeedoSpeedo
Speedo

Meredith, Norm, and Lauren manning the front of the boat. Norm is one of our leaders, and he's from Melbourne, Australia. Speedos are the norm for swim suits ("swimmers") there.
MeredithMeredith
Meredith

Meredith doing a dance in the front of the boat. Actually she was just trying to keep her balance as the boat rocked along in the waves, but it was pretty entertaining either way.
Boat BackBoat Back
Boat Back

Chris, me, and Anthony sitting along the back of the boat on our way back in.
Dolphin GroupDolphin Group
Dolphin Group

A group of dolphins alongside our boat.
JumperJumper
Jumper

A jumper!
Group MeetingGroup Meeting
Group Meeting

a quick group talk in Kaikoura after swimming with the dolphins
JumpingJumping
Jumping

the dolphins weren't too shy and swim right up to us and do flips to show off
Another JumpAnother Jump
Another Jump

another jumper in the distance


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb