A Bucketload of Rain


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Kaikoura
February 2nd 2007
Published: February 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spending time by the rocks with our very own colony of seals was a wonderful experience even if they didn't do much more than sleep all day long! Before we left our slippery beflippered friends, a friendly elderly couple came over to say hello and admire the Fellowship of the Frog. They had also camped at the picnic site last night and were kind enough to recommend a couple of free and cheap places to camp before our return to Christchurch. Excellent.

As we were in need of a shower again, we took ourselves down the road towards Kaikoura and our next official campsite. On the way, we stopped for an hour or so in the tourist mecca of Kaikoura town to browse through some overpriced souvenir shops before moving on. We then drove to the campsite which Glynn was excited to discover had a 9-hole mini golf course attached. We were allocated a spot overlooking the beach and set ourselves up for the day. Just as we had got everything ready for lunch, the sky filled with menacing-looking clouds which proceded to drop their payload on us for the next 8 hours. When I said we wanted a shower, that wasn't quite what I'd had in mind!

Confined to the campervan for the entire day, we never did get to try out the little mini golf course and it was a pity to be so close to the beach where we could have walked for miles had the weather been more cheerful. At least we were somewhere with power so we could plug in our fan heater and keep the chilly air at bay, so it wasn't all bad I guess :-) As you can imagine, there was bugger all photography happening in the rain so tune in tomorrow for more pics!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 20; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb