Invercargill to Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Invercargill
January 2nd 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Invercarill was so uninspiring  I forgot to take a photo. So this postcard will have to suffice .Invercarill was so uninspiring  I forgot to take a photo. So this postcard will have to suffice .Invercarill was so uninspiring I forgot to take a photo. So this postcard will have to suffice .

It was apparent to me that at some point in time the city fathers expected something big to happen in Invercargill. Unfortunately, the expected growth never materialized. The main boulevard is the widest street I’ve seen in New Zealand. The scale of the avenue reminded me of a vertically challenge Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave, Chicago). Too bad there weren’t any of the shopping choices offered by the Mag.
The proof is in the photos and their descriptions so I will leave most of the explanation to those devices.

Left Invercargill around 10am and headed east towards Dunedin. I realized ten minutes out of town that I had forgotten to capture Invercargill on camera. Fortunately I had a postcard of the town at hand.

We stopped at various sites along the road, which was the southerly most route that we could take. Seals and penguins were elusive to our search as were the dolphins at Porpoise Bay.

We were not disappointed by the wildlife on the Otago Peninsula (Dunedin). The Royal Albatross, the largest bird in the world nests on the peninsula. The wingspan is 9 to 10 feet across. Graceful in the air but completely uncoordinated on the ground. Facts and facts, blah blah blah.

Toured the Speight’s Brewery in town that afternoon and did quite a lot of tasting. Afterwards we went to the 24 hour medical center to get help for those with the stomach flu. Afterwards I grabbed dinner and about two gallons of tea at one of the few restaurants open in town at that hour.

Cliff you’ll appreciate this next part. After walking around the city I headed back to the hotel on a mission. It was time for the beard to go . Haven’t grown it back yet and may never again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Petrified Forest BeachPetrified Forest Beach
Petrified Forest Beach

The fallen logs and stumps can still be seen and touched today millions of years after they last photosynthesized.
Porpoise Bay Porpoise Bay
Porpoise Bay

Another restroom break and iceblocks (popsicle).
Royal Albatross    Royal Albatross
Royal Albatross

The only land based colony of albatross in the world. These graceful Bird (in the air, but on the ground is a different story) have a wing span of 9 feet and weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 lbs.
Speight's TourSpeight's Tour
Speight's Tour

No photo of Marcos survives, one or both of us had too much to sample and couldn't stand still.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb