Greymouth to Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Hokitika
December 28th 2006
Published: January 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Work has been keeping me very busy so I’ll keep this pretty simple. We did lots of driving and the stomach flu that a couple of us picked up from the Chinese restaurant (remember the woman dressed in the Pokemon shirt and was sneezing in the kitchen) set in.

Some of us toured a brewery in Greymouth while the others explored the biggest city on the west coast (but it can’t be any bigger than Astoria, OR a town it shares many similarities with). We just had to stop at The Warehouse (Wal-Mart equivalent) to satisfy a shopping urge (the car continues to fill up with purchases).

We left around noon or 12:30 heading south towards Fox Glacier. We stopped briefly in Hokitika the jade (greenstone) capital of New Zealand.

Made a stomach flu stop in Ross, where we posed for photos.

Then on to Franz Josef Glacier. We stopped in Franz for a few moments, but decided to move on to Fox Glacier and our accommodation 30 minutes to the south. After checking in Marcos and I headed back to Franz Jo where we hiked up to a few hundred feet of the glacier face (I
Noah's Ark -- Our room's motto.Noah's Ark -- Our room's motto.Noah's Ark -- Our room's motto.

Sheep, sheep and more sheep.
went barefoot).

Ended one chapter with a pizza period and started anew.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

HokitikaHokitika
Hokitika

This black lab could see a sucker willing to toss a stick from a mile away.
Single lane bridges.Single lane bridges.
Single lane bridges.

One of these single lane two way bridges had to be close to a half mile long and was also shared by trains. Talk about playing chicken.
Franz Josef GlacierFranz Josef Glacier
Franz Josef Glacier

I walked to within 500 feet of the glacier face barefoot over the gravel and rock river valley.


Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 88; dbt: 0.1758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb