New Zealand - South Island - Franz Josef


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
March 12th 2015
Published: March 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, set off this morning on a 'hairy scarey' ride to Franz Josef which has a the Franz Josef Glacier, took 5 1/2 hours, a couple of stops on the way for photos and lunch. Lunch being a homemade wrap and coffee in our flask (were on a budget !! May have mentioned that before !!). We headed up the Crown Rangers and took the Highway 6, heading West, then up North), This was the scenic route up the mountain, windy, windy, windy, down the mountain, back up the mountain, back down the mountain, flippin heck, how many more mountains !!! Must have reached the top of one of these peaks !! On the way, there was a sign which said 'whitebait patties', now this is something we have heard about but never tasted. So we drove down this dirt track to a garage and there was this very friendly Kiwi lady who cooked the patties. She explained what was in it and cooked us this most delicious tasty patty, would definitely recommend that. On with the road journey, passing a beautiful lake called Lake Hawea just mouth dropping scenery !! Round the bends, across one lane bridges, down valleys, passing absolutely stunning scenery, really cannot take it all in. Stu moaning, that 'all camper vans should be banned in New Zealand', as there holding up the traffic, yes we're back on that one again !!, I said 'Stu, slow down take in the moment', but Oh no, he is on a mission to get to Franz Josef. So after a couple of hairy bends, plus more, we arrived at our backpackers accommodation. You know what, I really like it, Yes, Mum and Dad have arrived again !! Could see that on the youngsters faces who seem to be sprawled in those laid back positions with hoods up and mobile phones in their hands !! Checked in by a friendly English lad who said there were various things free including brekkie and any international phone calls in the world. Wow, how about that, I was pretty impressed. Does anyone want me to phone them ? Get in the queue !! Stu even upgraded us to a room with our own loo and kitchenette, (can't cook in it, no stove) all for £25 more, for two of us for two nights. Oh yes, we're living like 5 star guests ! So had a good look around, found it had some quirky things all around the place, old sewing machines, old suitcases, old weighing scales, old ice skates, old sledges and the list goes on, really quaint! caters for 145 people, plus camp site. Spoke to the owner's son, he said he was doing a bbq tonight round the Pitt fire, said he used to do the bbq for free but now charges 5 dollars, real bargain. We then went off exploring, Franz Josef is quite small, it has a helicopter field just over the road from us ( you would expect a bus station ! ) few bars and restaurants, little shops, one supermarket and one garage and a few other buildings. Feel like getting out my ski gear, but it's back in England, haven't worn it for at least 25 years, could probably get my arm in the ski trousers !! (Something else I have to de-clutter when I'm home !).

Anyhow one of the freebies at our hostel is 'the soup kitchen', yes we have resorted to this !! in we go, all the youngsters were in there taking advantage, Stu moaning that they had eaten all the bread !! And that we have to come earlier tomorrow so that we get our share !! Very nice soup, chicken. It really is a good way of socialising, you just sit down on the benches and everyone chats. Later on in the evening Stu and I cooked up our dinner in one of the kitchens for the next 2 days, guess what, no pasta but brown rice, still with tuna and pasta sauce, but thought we would throw in some sweet corn !! Wow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb