Franz Josef


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Franz Josef
July 29th 2009
Published: August 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

26th May 2009

After a well deserved lie in we awoke to blue skies and stunning views of snow-capped Mount Cook. Having booked a glacial walk tour, we decided to walk up to the terminal face of the Franz Josef Glacier. It took 45 minutes to walk to the face and once there we were treated to a great sight. The terminal face itself was pretty dramatic. In the centre was a huge ice cave with massive bolders of ice that had fallen from the glacier, sitting underneath. The colour of the glacial ice was surprising too with shades of deep blue fading into white. We then walked to St Peters Pools where we could see a reflected view of the glacier and the surrounding mountains. The day ended with a soothing dip in some hot glacial pools, which, luckily for us were empty so it was like having our own private pools. To round off the day we drunk a nice bottle of red wine between us.


27th May 2009

Today we headed to Fox glacier, the other main glacier close to Franz Josef. We planned to do the same as yesterday and walk up close to the terminal face. However the path to the face was blocked by a barrier and warning signs. A department of conservation ranger was at the barrier and advised us that there was a very nice walk along a high path that afforded great views of the terminal face. This glacier had advanced a long way in recent years but is now once again retreating back. Next up was a spot of lunch where we indulged ourselves with chicken, brie and cranberry pizza, very tastey!!!. To work this off we walked around Lake Matheson, a very large reflecting lake. Here we took some great photos but unfortunately as we walked around the clouds rolled in and we couldn't quite take as many as we liked. Even so the ones we did take were pretty impressive.

28th May 2009

The day of our tour up Franz Josef Glacier, and what a day it was! First off the weather held and the sun shone in the clear sky. After being kitted up with socks, boots, crampons and all we were ready to roll. The acsent up the face of the glacier was aided by steps cut into the ice. The beginning of the climb although on the glacier was a trek over stone and gravel that had made its way to the surface. After an hour of walking we reached the exciting part of the glacier where its main active area was. First off an ice tunnel with beautiful blue colours, it also doubled as a fun ice slide, leaving us with wet bums! We ventured accross deep cracks and squeezed through tight crevaces. The Ice formations looked strangley fake with all the colours running through, however one touch of the cold ice confirmed they weren't. The views from the top exposed the whole valley but sadly the rain clouds began to work there way in, giving the mountains a srange mystique. On the way back down we passed a deep pool of glacial water which we had the option to swim in, but with temperaturs of around 0 degrees we kindly declined. At the end of the walk we were given free entry to the glacial pools, typical as we had already paid to go! We left Franz Josef straight after the walk heading to Queenstown but only making it as far as Wanaka.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



4th August 2009

Looks v fun! But cold!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 20; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb