3-8-08 Haast & Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Fox Glacier
March 9th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I finally spelled Haast correctly. Could not find it in the guide books because I thought it was Hast. Oh well. It is just a wide spot in the road. The rain came down in sheets last night.
We went for a walk to see the Fox Glacier. They said it was 5 min. walk, like hell it was. Maybe a mountain goat to do it in 5 min.s but it took about 45 min.s for Juanita. I do have to say, I admired her determination and it was well worth it when we got there. Juanita crashed and burned about 8 PM and was awake at 7 AM.
Last night, in the rain we gassed up the car and then asked about a grocery store. They sent us 5 K down the road. It stopped raining after supper and we went for a walk. Sure enough, just around the corner there was a bigger and better grocery store.

We also stopped at Hokitika. This is big jade area. They were having a wild food festival and the food was really wild. They also had it on the local news the next night.

Kiwi word for the day is Tea. It can mean tea but if it is after 4 PM it means Supper. It can also mean lunch if lunch is your main meal for the day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Haast Jim & JuanitaHaast Jim & Juanita
Haast Jim & Juanita

This is the NZ bush. It is the trail going down to the viewing area for the Fox Glacier.
HokitikaHokitika
Hokitika

Wild Food Day in Hokitika.


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb