Days 7-9: The Majestic Fiordland


Advertisement
Published: December 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Near the Glow Worm CaveNear the Glow Worm CaveNear the Glow Worm Cave

Unfornately, no pictures are allowed down in the caves.
Day 7: Park Soundscaping and Glow-Worms
We arrived safely in the southland, and after a quick breather at the hostel ventured down to the glow worm caves. Lake Te Anau (where we are staying the next few days) got its name from the Maori words for Spinning Water, later the caves were discovered. I had never seen glow worms before, but now that I have, I must say that I think they are the most beautiful bugs I have ever seen. We ventured down in a rickety wooden boat in the dark caves, and the worms lit up the cave like a night time sky.

This town has a pretty boardwalk with lots of interesting wildlife, scenes, and sounds.


Day 8: Milford Sound Tramping

Today we journeyed to Milford sound on our own, stopping at will frequently to get out stretch our legs, take hour long hikes, and admire God’s handiwork. On top of the beautiful bird song we were greeted to a symphony of cascading white-water. This was my favorite spot along the trip. Not only did it offer a unique sounds cape, it also gave the aero-engineer in me great pleasure at watching the streamlines
EvanEvanEvan

White Light Photo
of water spilling past the boundaries of the various rock formations, watching eddies form, and admiring the turbulence of waves. Later in our drive we got to climb up on some fallen ice from a previous avalanche Milford Sound was pretty, a bit too touristy for us, so we avoide the cruises, and main viewing spots and instead opted for a seat on the grass watching the boats disappear beyond the bend of the sharp fiords.

Day 9: Paddling in the Sound of Silence, Doubtful Sound

Today we ventured out to Doubtful Sound (two bus rides and two water cruise/taxis later) for some kayaking . Thankfully, we could see no one out there with us on the water(except the other people in our 10 person group). We were treated to steep faces, tree avalanche strips, rain, fog, and mist. Towards the end of our trip we were rewarded with the most beautiful piece of land I have ever laid eyes on, there was this U shaped cliff, with four or five waterfalls some spindling down and others crashing. Asolutely stunning. Despite the chilly, wet, choppy conditions, paddling in the sound of silence, with our ears open to simply listen to the wind rushing past the fiords(caved out by glaciers), was a memory worth remembering over and over again.

Tonight we finally made use of the hostel kitchens and cooked up some warm, spicy, chili burritos with fresh bell peppers! It was a perfect fill for our paddler stomachs.

Tomorrow we are off to the glaciers, Happy New Years Eve everyone if I do not get on here before. May God grant you adventurous days, good health, and love from those dearest.

Until tomorrow's adventures...



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

WhitewaterWhitewater
Whitewater

Brilliant teal waters treated us.
Group ShotGroup Shot
Group Shot

Maybe we need more practice?
DoubtfulDoubtful
Doubtful

One of Many Waterfalls


30th December 2010

Wow
Sarah: Wow... amazing stories and photos. Fun, fun and more fun. I have to get there to see the glow worms. "Glo little glow worm, glimmer, glimmer... glow little glow worm, glimmer, glimmer...." I used to sing that when I was a kid. Enjoy the rest of the "show" and thanks for sharing. Love the adventure - and sharing it with you and Evan. Happy New Year! Mimi
31st December 2010

I miss you both and love keeping up with you!! Love, Robin (Mom)
31st December 2010

Wow! Hey there and Happy New Year!! The girls and I are following your blog. Love showing it to them! Now Harper wants to see some glow worms!! LOL! None in Mississippi, though... :) Beautiful pics and keep sharing. Love, Marla & the girls.
2nd January 2011

Lake Te Anu
Beautiful pictures of your wonderful trip and really enjoyed your blogs. Beautiful pictures of yout travels and love reading the blogs. autiful pictures of these days. Love readiing your blogs.

Tot: 0.455s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb