Day 83 - Milford Sound


Advertisement
Published: March 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The scenery in New Zealand is impossible to describe, it truely is amazing, and so completely different as you journey through the country. But nowhere is more impressive and awe inspiring as the southern fiordland, and today we journey to Milford Sound fiord to take a boat cruise. The drive itself is amazing, twisting through mountains and valleys. Then through the Homer Tunnel, a bizarre dimly lit hole blasted down through a mountain and out to Milford Sound on the other side. The day is cloudy but clear, and the view is stunning, contrasting the black tannin-stained water with the steep rocky sides of the mountains, Mitre Peak being the highest. We boarded the Mitre Peak cruise boat, a small boat which was much better for close up views of the scenery, and free tea, always a bonus :-) We punted out to sea passing Bowen Falls, Mitre Peak, Fairy Falls, to the lighthouse, and back to the underwater observatory where you can view deep-sea creatures which live in shallow water because it is so black. Best of all, a school of dolphins swam along the boat as we sped back to the harbour, jumping and playing in the water, their speed is amazing. If you come to New Zealand you must visit the fiords. That evening we played Cranium with a bunch of drunken Kiwis, then went to a local bar to see a live band, a good night to round off a great day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

DolphinDolphin
Dolphin

Hard to photograph but I've got better videos.
The chasmThe chasm
The chasm

One of the scenic stops on the way back to Te Anau


Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 24; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb