Milford Sound


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 2nd
Early start - we've got a long way to go today. We have a very talkative driver, and a second driver who's being trained on the route/bus. We get lots of info about the lake, the route, New Zealand drivers (much higher fatality rate than in the UK, as no formal training require), lots of comments on tourists, and the guys obviously a 'huntin, shootin, fishin' kinda guy. Very beautiful area with lots of low-lying cloud. Takes best part of a couple of hours to get to Te Anau, where we take a half-hour break. Back on the bus, through lots more scenic country - photo stops at Eglington Valley, the Mirror Lakes, before a last toilet stop at Knob's Flat (named after the knobs of rock scattered around). Back on the road, more scenic stops, before stopping at a glacial river to fill water bottles with 3 degree water - tasty - hope it's safe! At the Homer Tunnel (another amazing feat of engineering) we stop to photograph the Kea's - apparently unusual that they are out in the sun - they are pecking at all the rubber bits on someone's car - a typical habit! 15 minute wait to get through the tunnel, one more photo stop at we're at the wharf for Milford Sound.

Milford Sound is beautiful. Armed with my cruise 'sub', I head up to the top deck and get the camera out for scenics, waterfalls, before we catch sight of dolphins. We head out to sea - not as far as I expected, but great weather (apparently only this good 1/10 days). Good chance to chat to some nice people, including American guy who was a attempted canyoning yesterday, and a Danish girl who works for the Hutton photo archive. Got very close to one waterfall!

Bus ride back is hot and am glad am getting off at Te Anau and not spending 2 more hours to Queenstown! Check into the YHA, find that they are booked out Monday night so make plans to get back to Queenstown Monday - book into a different hostel as found YHA Lakefront noisy. Wander round town, find I've lost my collapsible water bottle but find the same so buy that - ah well, at least it got its final moment of fame as it was filled up this morning. Ran into Nicole who I'd shared a room with at Wanaka. She was eating at the café I'd just ordered from (spinach/bacon lasagne + salad = nice), so chatted before heading back to hostel to catch up on some internet, chat/read, but still not packed my overnight bag ready for tomorrow as have a sleeping room-mate.

Doubtful Sound overnight tomorrow


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb