BACK ON THE EAST COAST (NZ AND SCOTLAND!)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
July 23rd 2006
Published: July 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

QUEENSTOWNQUEENSTOWNQUEENSTOWN

Ariel view
Hello. Our last days in Queenstown found us travelling up to one of the town's highest points on a gondola (cable car). Unfortunately the weather had turned cold, wet and windy again so the views weren't as good as they might have been. A nice adventure nevertheless. We also had a walk around the town and the lovely lakeside. On our last night we had a nice meal in the hotel before getting to bed at a reasonable hour before our early departure to Dunedin on the Thursday.

As before the bus trip was terrific passing through some outstanding scenery: snow capped mountains, lakes - natural and man made - desolate mountainsides, small towns with Scottish street names. All accompanied by a bright and jolly bus driver's commentary and some awful jokes.

We arrived in Dunedin and found our latest 'digs.' This time a refurbished Brother's Mission surrounded by churches! It is very nice albeit the room is a bit on the small side (No cat-swinging allowed.) But breakfast is included.

Dunedin itself has a very Scottish feel to it - not surprising as it was first inhabited by Scottish settlers and named after Edinburgh. We have had
DunedinDunedinDunedin

View from our room
a couple of nights out as per usual touring the local pubs and restaurants. We have also done a lot of sightseeing. The highlight of which so far has been a scenic train ride up the Taieri Gorge, again through some wonderful scenery. The history of the laying of the tracks through the gorge is a testament to those early settlers.

We had an early night last night after watching the All Blacks beat the Springboks in a pub which has a viewing area called the Terrace where you can view a huge screen sitting as if you were in a stadium. Today we have just finished a very interesting guided bus trip around the city - unfortunately the rainy conditions prevented us from taking too many pictures. The rain deciding for us to come and update the diary!

Tomorrow we are going to hire a car and travel south to the most southerly part of the island and hopefully see some of the rare wildlife that abounds in this part of the world.

We understand that you are enjoying a mini heatwave in UK. We don't care, so there!!!

Trust everyone is well. As always
DUNEDINDUNEDINDUNEDIN

One house town passed on our train journey
we would love to hear from you on our comments board.

Love, Ken & Linda


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DUNEDINDUNEDIN
DUNEDIN

Our train going over a viaduct
DUNEDINDUNEDIN
DUNEDIN

The Gorge
DUNEDINDUNEDIN
DUNEDIN

Statue to a sheep dog - don't ask me
DUNEDINDUNEDIN
DUNEDIN

A wee train station
DUNEDINDUNEDIN
DUNEDIN

A big huge station


23rd July 2006

Hi there
Hi there you two, glad to see all is going well for you in NZ, just a quick tip; when you get down towards Nugget Point don´t miss Surat Bay if possible. It´s not advertised at all but we saw over 20 huge sea lions on the beach there and the locals will be able to direct you. Bye for now. Keep up the blog, pics are great. C and RA.
23rd July 2006

Where's The Party
Hi Linda and Ken Looks wonderful glad you are both well. Glad to hear Bill is up and about and using the mobile again. Myself and Kaz met afew of your many friends in town on Friday I pass on all the travel blog stuff to kaz and it does the rounds. Party!! when are you back. George

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb