Moeraki & Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
March 17th 2009
Published: April 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Moeraki LighthouseMoeraki LighthouseMoeraki Lighthouse

Yellow eyed Pengiuns
After some Z's Z Z Z Z's we drove to Dunedin (Gaelic for Edinburgh) stopping on the way at Moeraki where we went to see some Yellow Eyed Penguins. There was quite a lot of them and we got some great photos. We also went a bit further down the beach to see some rare naturally formed boulders, they were almost all perfect sphere worn that way by the sea and wind some had what looked like veins in them. They seemed to photograph really well so we got some great shots of them. We also bumped into 2 Irish lads who Matt had met surfing up in Kaikoura and we arranged to meet them in Dunedin for a piss up. When we arrived in Dunedin the first night was a rest and bed night.

The following evening we meet up with Gary and Lucy (UWE friends met on Mt Cook) and started knocking back the alcohol by the time the two Irish boys plus another traveller they had met called Marcel, arrived we were both well on the way. Needless to say from Nibby's handwriting in the diary we got very pissed!!!

The Irish boys came to pick
Moeraki LighthouseMoeraki LighthouseMoeraki Lighthouse

The rarest penguins in the world
Matty up the next day for a Surf. They headed first to Sandfly bay only to be disappointed and so came back to St Kilda. Matty was really happy he had one great wave it was pretty big. Nibby went for a run to shake off her hang over and was reading at home when Matty got back. In the evening we drove up the Otago Peninsular to the very tip to see some Royal Albatrosses. They really are massive we learned a lot about them on a tour but got our best photos from the car park. On the way home we saw a fishing boat pulling into port and stopped to buy some fish for dinner. The kind fisherman gave us two Terahiki for free. Once we got home Matty had to learn through trial and error how to gut & bleed the fish ready to cooking.

Again the following day Matty got up for an early morning surf this time he went to St Claire the biggest thing that can be said about surfing in the South of the South Island of New Zealand is its COLD!!! In the afternoon we drove back up to Otago
Moeraki LighthouseMoeraki LighthouseMoeraki Lighthouse

Sammy the Seal
peninsular and did some walks to see a massive Chasm and carried on to see Lovers Leap. We then carried on the drive on the unsealed roads exploring keeping are eyes peeled for the wildlife which was so plentiful.

For our last day in Dunedin we went to the Cadbury's factory and did the tour. It was rubbish compared with the one in Birmingham and we didn't even get that much free chocolate. In the afternoon we hired a couple of badminton courts and challenged Connor and Arron to a few games. They were both much better than us but it was good fun. In the evening the real fun begun as it was St Patrick's day and our new Irish friends wanted to celebrate and we kindly agreed to go get drunk with them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Moeraki LighthouseMoeraki Lighthouse
Moeraki Lighthouse

We were so lucky to see so many and so close
Moeraki LighthouseMoeraki Lighthouse
Moeraki Lighthouse

Check out his eyes
Moeraki LighthouseMoeraki Lighthouse
Moeraki Lighthouse

This one is moulting look closely at his chest feathers
Moeraki LighthouseMoeraki Lighthouse
Moeraki Lighthouse

Its like going back in time
Moeraki BouldersMoeraki Boulders
Moeraki Boulders

Someone has burst this one
Moeraki BouldersMoeraki Boulders
Moeraki Boulders

Is it the moon, no its a boulder
Otago PeninsulaOtago Peninsula
Otago Peninsula

Little Blue Penguin
Otago PeninsulaOtago Peninsula
Otago Peninsula

Royal Albatross
Otago PeninsulaOtago Peninsula
Otago Peninsula

This is an actual size bird their wingspan is 3 metres.
Otago PeninsulaOtago Peninsula
Otago Peninsula

A baby Albatross


Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb