Dunedin: New Edinburgh


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
December 15th 2008
Published: December 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Octagon, DunedinThe Octagon, DunedinThe Octagon, Dunedin

Town Hll and Saint Paul's Cathedral
Dunedin Sunday 14th December 2008

Originally called New Edinburgh, Dunedin, whilst retaining many Scottish traditions, is nothing like Scotland’s capital city. Dunedin is just as beautiful as Edinburgh, but architecturally very different; it is a Mecca for aficionados of Victoriana as opposed to stately Georgian grey stone. The climate is very similar and today, walking down Dunedin’s Princes Street, reminded me so much of shopping trips to it‘s Scottish namesake, when we lived in Fife many years ago; the wind blew steadily in our faces as we trudged uphill.
Scottish names are to be found everywhere, Knox Church, George Street, St Andrews Street and Duncan Street. A statue of Robbie Burns graces the centre of town in The Octagon, a lovely octagonal town centre flanked by the cathedral, town hall, theatre, art gallery and numerous cafes and restaurants. Despite the chilly weather, we sat outside at the Octagon enjoying a beer and lunch and the general relaxed ambience of the city.
The Otago Settlers’ Museum offers a fascinating insight to the founding of the city and those brave Victorians who coped with between six and eight months in sailing ships, steerage class, who came to populate it. Dunedin is a
First Presbyterian ChurchFirst Presbyterian ChurchFirst Presbyterian Church

Just off Princes Street
‘cared for’ city, with a proud citizenship. There are very few new buildings, most of the houses are two storey Victorian villas in immaculate condition and the public buildings are proudly ornate and majestic.
History shows that the settlers were actually a pretty even mix of English, Irish and Scots, but the land was originally purchased and the town built by Scottish wealthy businessmen, who wanted to create a little bit of Edinburgh halfway around the world, so it is to Scotland that the people here look to their roots and the early photographs of the “Settlers’ Society” are predominately Scottish. I found many photographs of folk with the surname Duff (my maiden name) who journeyed from Edinburgh in the 19th Century to settle Dunedin. People here celebrate Burns Night and one can buy tartan and clan pins in specialist shops. We enjoyed our city day today immensely. Dunedin is a long way south but well worth the journey.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Dunedin Railway StationDunedin Railway Station
Dunedin Railway Station

Pure Victoriana!
Stuart StreetStuart Street
Stuart Street

View up to the Octagon from the railway


Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 22; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb