Adrenalin Junkies


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Dunedin
July 5th 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Queenstown knowing that there were plenty of activities for adrenalin lovers... Ben signed himself up for the Thrillogy - three bungy jumps in and around Queenstown. The first being the Kawarau Bridge, the original home of the bungy at 47 metres. Ben took this in his stride as a little warm up for the second jump at the Ledge. 400 metres above Queenstown, the Ledge overlooks some amazing views of the town below and the mountains and lakes surrounding it. Ben decided to get adventurous... after contemplating a handstand and a flip off the edge he opted to jump off backwards into the night sky. After watching a dvd about the secrets of the bungy Rachel finally convinced herself to make the big jump and signed up with Ben to do the Nevis, New Zealand's highest bungy at 134 metres. The jump is made from a suspended gondola, dangling from a few wires in the middle of a canyon! The bus ride up there was a bit tense, the ride across to the gondola was even more tense and waiting on the platform to jump was absolutely terrifying! Ben of course was too tough for words and couldn't wait to throw himself off. After watching 15 people jump infront of me (including Ben) I was getting more and more nervous, finally my turn came around and I stepped up to the platform trying not to look down. I have never been so scared in my life but as soon as I had jumped I had no regrets and was loving every second of the 8.5 second freefall! It was definately one of the best things we've ever done and a big highlight of the trip so far... for the remainder of the evening I couldn't wipe the grin off my face, I felt like i'd drunk about 50 cans of red bull and was absolutely buzzing! To finish the night off in style we hit the bars of Queestown and partied the night away until the early hours of this morning. Unfortunately we had to be up at 7am to catch our next bus so we are now feeling a little sorry for ourselves!
Another highlight of our time in Queenstown was a three day snowboarding session on the slopes of the Remarkables. We found ourselves a cheap package including a few lessons and were well on our way to carving up the slopes. After three long days we were a bit bruised and battered but we were addicted. Ben already has plans to buy his own snowboard once we are home! We are now travelling around the far south of the south island and will be back in Queenstown on Sunday for more action packed shenanigans!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



5th July 2007

Hi guys, looks great in New Zealand! Rach, i can't believe you did a bungy jump!!!!!!!!!! You're mental! I was scared just watching the video of Ben! The views look amazing, obviously not as great as Fuerteventura, but not bad! ha ha ha! Miss you xxx
6th July 2007

You crazy fools!!!!
Guys I can't believe it! I felt sick just looking at the pictures you nutcases!!! So glad you enjoyed it... and that you're back on solid ground safe and well... but my God what are you two like! Ben you're a bad influence... Rach never would've been crazy enough to do that on her own!! Loving the pictures though.. keep them coming. Stay safe and well and don't give my stomach cause to do somersaults again for a little while OK!!!! I can't take it! Love yoooooooooooooou!!!!!! Kaf xxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb